Chapter Nineteen: Just Like a Dream

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013

Chapter Nineteen: Just Like a Dream

@Cailen's P.O.V.@

The day had been long and tedious. Cailen had risen long before sunrise, his resolve firm. He had dragged a grumbling Douglas from his bed-and the arms of a bonny lass-throwing him on his steed and the pair set off before the the rest of the keep could rise from their beds. Cailen rode as if his life depended on it, Doug chasing at his heals.

They combed the highlands as they headed south towards the lowlands and the border separating Scotland from England. He inquired after Hannah at every town and hamlet they wandered past, but to no avail.

The torch of hope in his chest was never dwindling, it burned hot and bright even as the chances of Cailen finding Hannah counted against him. As the pair neared closer to the border, it became apparent that Mother Nature had other ideas.

"This is insanity," cried Douglas as the sky began to turn a molten grey, the wind kicked up, gathering their hair and tossing it about. "We need to seek shelter before this storm lets loose. There is naught we can do during a downpour."

Cailen wanted to argue, but as he looked to the sky, he knew his friend spoke true. It was tangible in the air that a dangerous storm was brewing. Begrudgingly, Cailen agreed. They dismounted, guiding their beasts towards the surrounding forest.

The trees intwined above them like a sheltering canopy, but that was not enough to shield them once the a boom of thunder shook the earth, followed by the abrupt sheets of rain pouring from the sky. In moments they were drenched, their riding cloaks weighing heavily upon them, their kilts wrapping around their legs, making walking laborious.

"We must make haste," Cailen shouted over the pounding of the rain, his dark locks matting to his forehead and sculpted cheeks.

They moved quickly through the forest, mud caking their boots and legs as the dredged forward through the sodden muck. Rain was coming down in heaps; Cailen could scarcely see two feet in front of him. Which was why he nearly missed the slight opening in the large mountain as they passed by.

"Here!"

Cailen eased his way in, his eyes darting about. "Tis a tight fit, but it is dry. I'll see to the horses and then join ye."

"Nay, I will see to the horses. Ye will get inside an' start a fire," Douglas said, his tone jolly despite the tempest as he took the reins from his friend.

Cailen grinned, shaking his head as he started down the narrow entrance. As Cailen had said it was a tight fit. He had to side step his way through the entrance minding the sharp rocks at his front and back. The cavern began to widen bit by bit until he could walk with ease. It was only then that he became aware of the flickering light at the end.

Cailen hesitated, years of battle training and instinct telling him to move on with caution. Cailen's hand wrapped around the hilt of his sword, prepared to defend himself from any foe. When he reached the end he froze.

A girl was knelt before a blazing fire, long blond tresses burning a brilliant gold in the firelight. Cailen's heart seized in his chest as the girl rose and spoke, her voice a balm upon his aching heart.

"Hey! Guess what? Now you have to call me 'Mistress of the Flame' or 'She Who Made Fi-"

They were face to face and Hannah froze. A look of awe appearing on her lovely face. Cailen drank her in as he fought for words. Her blue eyes were the size of marbles, her shell pink lips parted tauntingly, begging for his kiss. Her cheeks were flushed with warmth, her blond hair framing her face with flowing waves.

For the first time in a month, Cailen's heart beat unbidden by pain or sorrow. It leapt with joy, Hannah's name shouting from within him with every beat.

Hannah! Hannah! Hannah!

Cailen watched as her lips moved wordlessly, grasping for words where there were none to describe what was going through them both. When at last Hannah spoke, it was a single word that nearly broke his heart in two. Broken and yet filled with so much awe and sadness it spoke volumes to his soul.

"Cailen."

@Hannah's P.O.V.@

Cailen was here. Just like a dream he was there, standing in front of me. But he wasn't a dream-at least he didn't look like. I was frozen, too scared and surprised to make a move towards him. But Cailen was taking care of that, because right then he was eating up the space between us, closing the distance until I could feel the heat rolling off his body.

"Hannah," the deep rumble of his voice impacted me like the most intimate of touches, sending a tremor down my spine.

I was frozen in place, my body unwilling to meet the demands of my brain. Move! Speak! Roll over! Do something!

He was mere inches from me, only a scarce sheet of air separating us. With a single motion I could have been in his arms, banishing any doubts that I had about whether or not I was dreaming. My eyes were fixated on him.

His face was swallow, paler, as if he had been ill or as of he had had little to no sleep for a long time. A stab of guilt stilt through me. Oh, Cailen . . .

"Are you real?"

Ha. Out of all the things I could have said THAT was my brilliant comeback? Suave, Hannah. Very suave. Cailen obviously agreed with me. Because the moment he registered my words, trills of laughter burst from him, a soul shattering smile breaking across his handsome face.

"Aye, lass," he murmured as he sobered. "Shall I show ye how real I can be?"

Oh, lord. He was really close now. I could smell the rain on his skin, mingling with that special something that was purely Cailen. I stared up at him, my entire being focused solely on him.

My breath hitched in my throat as he lifted up one of his hands, his fingers stroking lightly against my cheek, sending a frenzy of tingles through me. My throat went dry as my eyes met his green ones. There was so much emotion there; it humbled me to know that I was the recipient of such feelings.

"Hannah," he whispered.

I started to say something, but his mouth came down on mine and any semblance to thought fled my mind. I lost myself to the contact, the warmth. I wanted nothing more than to drown in Cailen. His hands cupped my face gently, trailing down to my neck, angling my head at a better angle to deepen the kiss, his tongue snaking paste my lips, tasting and taking.

I buried my fingers in his lush locks, still damp from the rain, drawing him closer. I stood on the tips of my toes, needing his nearness the way people needed air to breathe. His hands traveled down around my waist, tightening the embrace. I never wanted this to end-I could have lived and died just then with no regrets.

We broke apart reluctantly, gasping for air. Cailen pressed his forehead against mine, a breathy chuckle breaking free.

"Does that suffice for proof? Do I feel like a dream, love?"

I laughed, my entire body trembling from the force of that kiss. "I can't believe you're here. I dreamt of this-oh, Cailen I'm so sorry-"

"Hush, now," Cailen chided, as he smoothed back my unruly half dried hair from my face. "Ye have naught to be sorry for. Tis I who should beg ye for penance. Oh, lass when I found ye gone ye cannot ken what thoughts were going through me mind. I hae ne'er been more afraid in my life."

I buried my face against his chest, listening to the rapid beat of his heart. "I know. Trust me, I know."

Cailen drew away from me, his lips parting to speak but we were interrupted.

"Hannah?"

I jumped back from Cailen in surprise, peering around him to see the last two people I was expecting.

"James? Douglas?"

"James?" the two Scots chorused in unison.

James looked sheepish. "Suppose the cat's out of the bag."

I looked from James to Cailen and Douglas who had twin looks of bewilderment on their faces.

"Um, what's going on?"

"Ye tell us lass, ye are the one in the company of royalty," Douglas said wryly.

Whoa-what? Royalty?

I looked to James in astonishment. "What?"

"Ye are in the presence of the only son of the English king. Prince James, future king of Britain."

Whoa. No, whoa didn't even cover it. "You-you're a PRINCE?!"

"Guilty as charged my lady," James said with a flourished bow. "How could I pass up the chance to help a damsel in distress and venture into enemy territory? 'Twas the adventure of a life time."

I had nothing to say. Really.

"I thank ye, yer Majesty for all yer help in bring Hannah back to me," Cailen said with a formal air that was completely foreign to me.

James grinned, waving away Cailen's words. "'Twas the least I could do. Hannah scarcely gave me a choice when she caught up with me when she escaped from the slave traders."

The light, happy atmosphere disappeared all at once. Sucked away by harmless enough words. I met Cailen's dark stormy glare, knowing what was next.

"Hannah, I must ken," Cailen said, his words an emotional tremor. "Who betrayed you? Who betrayed us?"

I hesitated for just a moment, readying myself for the story I had to tell. For the fight that would undoubtedly come as soon as I was done. But I wasn't afraid anymore. I had Cailen. And I knew that no matter what, we could do anything, get through anything, as long as we were together.

I told him everything.

___________________________________Author's Note___________________________________

I wrote this whole thing in an hour while watching season 4 of Charmed. Know how lucky you all are!!! So, here it is chapter 19!!! Hehe, I will be 19 soon and it just strikes me funny. I almost want to wait until my birthday to post this. But I am not that mean.

My life is consumed by CandyCrush, social networking and babysitting. Do all remember back in chapter 17 when I mentioned the play list? I haven't gotten the response I wanted, but I guess I can pick the songs myself. The song for this chapter was pre-decided. When I Look At You-Miley Cyrus. I think it fits rather well.

So, this story is coming to a close. It'll still be a while but the end is near. I'm sorry I just do not want to drag it out needlessly. I've read stories on here where it has taken 40 chapters to get through 1week and the main characters are still not together. I just cannot. I would have to bludgeon myself with my keyboard. But, I am thinking of this version as a rough draft. I want to perfect it and (hopefully) publish it for real. I would love to see Hannah in solid context. Paper, an actual cover. Gives me chills!! Also I am considering changing the title. Thoughts? Brainstorm please!!! And should I switch the category from Teen Fiction to Romance? I figure I could get more readers either way.

I will stop boring you all with my babbling now!

Lol, please VOTE(more votes, last chapter had over a 100 reads and only 24 votes what is up with that???)

COMMENT(once again over a hundred reads but only 5 comments not including my answering one. Guys! Please? Give me something to work with. I am not fishing for compliments. Give me your thoughts on the story, Hannah, Cailen, James-kitty kent even!)

FOLLOW(you guys are so sweet! 89 followers now <3 not a grand total but I am very proud :))

Bye bye, see you in Chapter Twenty: Highland Justice which should be posted Saturday!