Mated

Chapter Thirty Two - Mated

Once aboard the Troubadour, Teague took me aside and presented me with a fine rock-crystal locket, bound in gold and ornamented with a spray of forget-me-nots wrought in gold, and accented with turquoise and seed pearls. "It was hers," he said.

I could hardly take my eyes from my mother's locket. "I know what this means to you," I told him. Then I tried to fasten it about my neck, but emotion made my fingers clumsy.

Jack approached, ready to give me in matrimony, and saw that I was struggling with the locket. "Here — I've got it," he interposed quickly. As he fastened the clasp, he said, "Didn't quite have time to do up me own gift properly, love. You'll have it a bit later in the festivities."

"Jack," I protested, "Between us there's no need..."

He held up both hands to stop me. "Oh, no, darlin'," he replied. Then, tenting his fingers in prayerful supplication, he added, with a purposeful, one-sided grin, "I really must insist."

As we all gathered near the mainmast, I surveyed the assembly, noting the faces of townsfolk, pirates and gypsies crowded together on deck, all of which lent the proceedings an odd air of unreality to me.

I looked for one familiar face in vain, then turned to Jack. "What a shame Mr Gibbs is absent, being still in Tortuga."

"Oh? Did you not see him in Pencarren?" replied Jack. "He's here, but he had business ashore. Not to worry – he's seen his share of weddings." I would have questioned him, but he turned his eyes towards Teague, who had taken out a book and was preparing to begin the ceremony. I looked quickly around, unsure where to stand or what was to happen. It occurred to me that I had never actually attended a wedding. Hector brought me to stand at his left side, and my father took his place before us.

"Dearly beloved . . ." Teague began. I was in such a state of confoundedness that I scarce knew what to expect, and most of this speech was lost on me. With an effort I was able to focus my attention a few moments later.

"If any man can show just cause — just cause, not ill-feeling," he said with a hard stare at Jack, "Why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold . . . his . . . peace," my father intoned, emphasising the last three words. Jack kept his silence, and looked skyward at the top of the mast with a meek expression.

Then our vows were read to us and, being prompted, I answered I will, as did Hector.

"Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?" was the next question, and Jack gave my right hand to Teague, who joined it with Hector's right hand and guided me as I plighted my troth to Hector.

I was told afterward that I repeated the phrases without error, but I was so overwhelmed that I understood little at the time. I had difficulty hearing the words, and have hardly any memory of what I promised or to whom I promised it. Hector likewise recited his part to me, looking very serious and unsmiling, and I wondered if he had the same feelings of unsteadiness and distraction that I did.

My thoughts ran so quickly I could hardly take them in. Everyone was cast in a new role: my father stood before me, officiating at my marriage, my friend had become my brother and given me in matrimony. My former enemy, the man I loved, would now fulfil a role in my life which had not even existed until this day.

I was brought back to the present by Hector's voice saying, "With this ring I thee wed . . ." I looked down, startled to see that he had just placed a ring upon my finger. Trust Jack to find a ring of the proper size when pressed, I thought. Hector and I both stared at my hand as though we had never seen one before.