Mutiny

Chapter Five -- Mutiny

On our third day out, the Pearl was unusually quiet. Jack was nowhere to be seen, but Mr Barbossa stood on the quarterdeck supervising a contingent of about twenty crew that were sweeping the main deck. I tried to avoid them as I walked about the area, preoccupied, my eyes scanning each corner and hole in the planks, as I searched for any trace of my locket.

I stopped in front of one particular seaman who was on his knees, using the end of an iron file to pick some lead shot out of the splintered deck. Bootstrap stopped his work and looked up at me warily. "'Mornin', miss," he said, with a quick nod.

"Good morning, Bootstrap," I replied. "By chance do you recall the locket I always wore? If you should see any sign of it, you'll let me know straightaway, won't you, please?" Even as I spoke to him, I chastised myself for tasking him unreasonably. Why not ask him to search a hayfield and bring you a needle? It's gone; gone forever.

Bootstrap looked back down at the deck, but stopped digging at the lead. Head lowered, he answered quietly, "Are ye certain t' were lost? Not . . . taken, or aught like that?"

"What do you mean? Do you have some knowledge of this?" Startled, I pressed him.

Again, he kept his voice down as he responded. "Can't be sure. Only, as I were fightin' near the mizzenmast yesterday, I saw—"

"Get t' work, ye sad-faced dog!" Mr Barbossa shouted, as he strode over to us. The quartermaster stood looking at each of us in turn, as Bootstrap stared down at the deck like a whipped cur.

"And as fer you," Barbossa continued, addressing me, "I'll thank ye t' belay yer idle woman's chatter when me crew are finishin' their tasks."

"I was enquiring after my locket," I retorted. "Bootstrap said he might have seen something."

Barbossa raised his eyebrows and turned his cold eyes upon Bootstrap. "Did ye, now? Well, then, tell missy what ye seen, by God. There be no secrets between me an' me crew; I'm all ears."

Bootstrap shook his head, and then looked up at me. "Nothin', miss. I hope ye find it." He went back to his work.

Barbossa regarded me with a thoughtful expression, followed by a look intended to convey sympathy. "Sorry about yer trinket," he offered in a conciliatory tone. "And whose likeness was it that ye treasured so?"

"My father's," I answered, distracted as I tried to think where else I might search for it.

He nodded, then turned on his heel and ascended to the quarterdeck, without one further word.

I returned to my cabin, which I searched for the third time. Next, I wandered to the captain's quarters, where I found Jack studying his charts. I took a chair near the table, lost in thought. Jack could see my distress, and gave me a questioning look.

"It isn't anywhere," I said.

"Have you been all round the deck? Lots of crannies it might be stuck in," he suggested.

"I've been chased off the deck," I replied. There was no need to say by whom.

"Ah, well," Jack said, considering for a moment, "You're always welcome here – why not keep me company for a bit?" He smiled. "Pour yourself a tot and wait for inspiration, eh?"

I returned his smile, despite my low spirits, and he kindly let me spend the remainder of the afternoon watching him work and occasionally conversing.

"Don't give up, love," he advised, as he put away his day's work. "It'll turn up just when least expected. It's always in the last place y' look, innit?" Then he gave me a golden smile. "I'm told it'll be cod for supper, by the by. Cod, callaloo – and rum." He opened his flask and drank a generous amount. "Care for a swig?"