Chapter 6

The caller ID didn't display a name, only a number, so she almost didn't answer it. However, since it might be someone looking for a photographer, she decided not to ignore it.

"Hey Jordy! It's Amelia. Your mother gave me your number. I hope I'm not calling at a bad time."

Wow. She hadn't talked to Amelia in several years. Not that she didn't want to now. Somehow, when they went their separate ways after high school, they'd become the kind of friends who drifted apart and lost touch.

"Not at all. It's great to hear from you. I'm glad you called."

"Good. I couldn't believe it when your mother said you were back in L.A. and had given up the piano, much less that you were a photographer now. Talk about perfect timing."

"Why? You need some pictures taken?"

"I do actually. I'm getting married on Saturday and my photographer bailed at the last minute. Any chance you aren't booked?"

Jordyn tried not to laugh. It probably wouldn't be good for her career for Amelia to know she had zero photography gigs scheduled. However, if she did the photos for someone like Amelia, it just might give her business the boost it needed. Thanks Mom.

"Well, talk about serendipitous. I have one little thing scheduled that day, but it won't be a problem to reschedule it, so I'm yours."

"Perfect! You're a lifesaver, Jordyn."

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to have a look at my portfolio first? You don't want to end up with lame photos of your big day."

"Not necessary. Your mom told me about your exclusive with People on Maximillian Chanteur's break up, and those photos were a hundred times better than any paparazzi photo I've seen. Besides, if you're giving up your lucrative career as a concert pianist to be a photographer, you've got to have some serious skills. I hope you can join us for rehearsal Friday night, we're having the wedding and the reception at the same venue, so you can get a feel for the place and do whatever else it is you photographers need to do."

"Works for me. I know things are kinda crazy for you this week, Amelia, but I do want to get together with you to catch up sometime. It's great to hear from you. We never should've lost touch."

"You're so right. I'd love to get together in a few months, after my life slows down a bit. However, it certainly isn't right now and since I can scratch photographer off my list, I need to get on with getting all those last minute wedding things taken care of. For now, I'll say ciao."

"Ciao."

Okay, so Remo was right about one thing. Living it was completely different than imagining what it would be like. Living from paycheck to paycheck was tough. She could understand now how it would wear you down after years and years of not having enough money. Which could very well end up being her life. After two months of trying to make it on her own with her photography, she wasn't doing so well, even with the work she'd gotten as a result of her exclusive with People magazine. So she'd taken on a part time job to supplement her income, because come hell or high water, she wasn't going to be defeated. If she ever saw Remo again, she'd have the experience to back up what she knew to be true. For herself at any rate.

Maybe Amelia's wedding would get her foot in the door with the right crowd. Regardless, if it ended up being a one-time thing, she was certainly going to make a lot more money there than working her second job, so it was a no-brainer which job she was doing this Saturday.

Still, when she ran into Max at the reception, she had a moment of doubt about her decision. If Max was here, Remo was most likely nearby and she didn't think she could face him right now. She needed more time and distance in order to have the fortitude for that encounter. However, one look at Max's face and she felt like her problems were small in comparison. What was he even doing here? Putting on a brave face? He was so pale, his eyes were bloodshot, he hadn't shaved in days, and it looked like he hadn't slept in a month.