Chapter 4

If this didn't kill him, he was going to ask Max for a raise. Though he didn't think Max had enough money to compensate him for the job of guarding Jordyn all night. He'd been in her company, what? Two, three hours? And he could barely keep his hands to himself. When he'd grabbed her hand and she actually held on, rather than yank it away, it took everything he had not to pull her into his arms and pretend like the last seven years didn't exist. That they were still young and foolish, believing in the impossible dream they could be together forever.

As hard as that was, though, it wasn't the worst of it. That was the explanation he owed her. As difficult as it had been to leave without a word, telling her why he left would pale in comparison. Because having her believe he was a jerk who toyed with her emotions was better than her knowing the truth.

"Since Max didn't offer to let you stay here, you're going to have to stay at my apartment."

The look on her face reflected exactly how he felt. Please, God, no. So why did it send searing pain through his chest, making him want to cry out with it? Because you're an idiot, still living in a dream world after all these years. Not that Jordyn needed to know it.

"Yeah, not my idea of fun either. However, needs must. And in less than 24 hours, your problems will be over. You can fly back to New York in a few days and start your new career."

"For a month anyway." She pushed her hair back over her shoulder, looked down at her hands, then back at him. "So where's your apartment?"

"Max has a duplex over the garage for the hired help. One of the perks of the job, I get to live there rent-free."

"Nice."

"I suppose. Max likes to have me handy. Sometimes it stinks living where you work. But the paycheck more than compensates."

"Well, not that I know a whole lot, but it seems Max likes you and treats you well." She shook her head slightly and let out a little laugh. "It's weird to call him that. It's almost like Maximillian Chanteur my idol, and Max are two different people. Max is just a guy I know who's doing me a big favor."

Remo shrugged. "In a way he is. There's the celebrity persona and the real man, who's different from the celebrity everyone hears about. Though he does tend to be a little dramatic sometimes, like he's known for, Max is a great guy. He treats me very well and I'm happy to do whatever he needs me to, to make his life easier."

"That says a lot. I know from experience some celebrities are worse in person than the image they portray to the public."

He nodded and smiled. "Tell me about it. I've been up close and personal with several. Who knew I'd end up running in the same circles as you?"

"Well, it certainly was a shock for me."

"For both of us."

"Are you going to tell me how it all came about?"

He nodded. "That and more. I owe you an explanation, Jordyn and I swore when I left, if I ever saw you again, you'd get it. It's the least I could do."

"Ya think? Though as far as I'm concerned, you owe me more than you could ever repay."

She clenched her jaw and he suspected it was to keep herself from saying any more about it. Maybe she figured she'd said too much already, because she'd let him see how much it hurt her. However, she had no idea how much it cost him to do it. The last thing he ever intended or wanted to do, was bring her pain. There was a time when he was willing to do anything and everything to make her happy. Like it was any different now, Remo? Instead of fading, his feelings had grown. Seeing her again merely released them from the prison they'd been locked in.