Chapter Three

By then, going back was the best option. Like paying a visit was never my idea. He smiled as if it was no big deal, as if I was coming here weekly. It was slightly annoying, especially since I came here for him.

"Uh... Hi," Jason addressed me, smiling sheepishly. "You... you look beautiful today."

"I always do, handsome." I said. The couple laughed.

Percy elbowed Jason. "She's learning how to joke. And she's learning fast!" I didn't say anything, just walked away to pretend I'm finding Chiron.

So what exactly do I want with Chiron? Not that I have something important to tell him.

 "Hey," Annabeth whispered, running  to my side. "Everything will surely work out between the two of you."

"Why do you say such nice words? I do not need them." I snapped. She meant well, but I have grown far too familiar with solitude.

"I always liked working alone, thinking only I can do such things," Annabeth confessed. Her eyes were swirling mists, as if they wish to show me something. It was so startling I couldn't get my eyes of it. She smiled sadly.

"Up until now. That's my fatal flaw. Your fatal flaw. But I learned to trust, and soon you will, too."

"No. The flames of my ability to trust have finally died away. In our world, you can trust no one, not even yourself," I paused, glancing at Annabeth with a small smile, "Still, it is very true that in the world we know the only permanent thing is change. What irony."

"So, where exactly is this conversation going?" she asked, looking curiously at me. I shrugged.

"Just so you know, before the sun sets, I must leave." I said, changing the conversation. Her mouth hung open.

"You're kidding," she muttered. I rolled my eyes at her.

"I'm not good with pranks," I declared. "Don't believe Jackson and his words."

Playing with the straps of my backpack, I looked back in search for the other two-- Percy and Jason-- but they are nowhere to be seen. We passed by the cabins shaped like an inverted U and were heading for the canoe lake. The cabins seem to give Annabeth an idea. 

"You can stay in our cabin! It's perfect! I'll inform my siblings to prepare an extra bunk for a guest."

There is no mistaking she's quite looking forward to this.

"I hate to break it to you, but your mom is too generous to kill any Roman who dares enter her children's refuge. I'm pork chops, so no thanks."

"You're different. You have given Greeks a chance." A few seconds later Annabeth gave a nervous smile. "But I cannot guarantee she likes different. So maybe you're right. Unless..."

"Unless what?" I asked with suspicion. Annabeth's eyes danced, making them more striking than ever.

"Unless you're interested in sleeping with Jason in the Zeus cabin."

"No."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes a little chaos is an important element in achieving perfection," I commented, pertaining to camp. She seems to understand, as expected from a daughter of Athena.

"Common words from someone who grew up in New Rome." 

I ended up staying the night, though I know not whether I shall be leaving by tomorrow morning. The children of Athena prepared me what little space they could spare, though it was better to share a bed with Annabeth. The problem is I was too shy to ask. Besides, Athena might zap me out of the bed. 

Annabeth was studying my expression. "No good? How about sharing a bed?"

Her siblings bustled around taking laptops and stacking them in a corner. Annabeth locked her arm around my neck and pulled me away.

"Truth be told, you're more of a sister to me than them. They see me... like, Mom's favorite. Which isn't usually good."

"Oh, okay," was my only reply.

By eleven o' clock, lights were out. Sleep didn't interest me, but the ceiling did. I stared for what seemed like eternity, hoping Annabeth would snore loud enough to distract me. But she didn't, just soft breaths came out of her mouth. Without diversion, there is always a Jason Grace in my head.

Is he thinking about me right now? Or is it Piper who's on his mind? Probably asleep? I sighed. If I only confessed directly, I would never be here, chasing after him.

I was stupid, despite all the wisdom I earned.

"There you go again, blaming yourself," Annabeth croaked quietly. "Have some sleep now."

She placed her hand over my eyes and slowly closed them. It worked. I felt tired, and sleep suddenly sounded really fantastic. She uttered few words before I completely entered a dreamless sleep.

"By the way, I don't snore."