Chapter One

Most say it’s pitiful when you’re alone.

But being alone makes me think clearer. It helps me know myself and other people better.

That was before.

Jason changed me. Suddenly I don’t wanna be alone anymore. As long as he’s there, I know I’ll do fine.

He let me look forward to our future. The future we could have had. Then I found him bringing his new girlfriend in New Rome. My hopes were shattered. Over and over. Just how worse can it get?

Where was I wrong? Where exactly? Because even if I think about it thousand times over, I don’t seem to find the real reason he left me.

It took time to realize someone was calling my name.

“Reyna, Octavian doused his head in flames,” an Apollo kid shouted.

“Let him burn,” I blurted out. I really need to relax sometimes. The boy looked incredulously at me.

“For real?”

“What do you think?” I snapped. Aurum and Argentum growled, sending the boy flying with a bucketful of water. He shouldn’t have done that. Octavian’s better off a Heatblast.

I thought about going to Camp Half-Blood, but if I did, no one will supervise Octavian from blackmailing the camp. Unless he cremates himself in that fire.

Jason. Jason. Jason.

I just can’t pluck Jason out of my head. Soon it will drive me crazy. I have to go. I need to.

“To whom shall I entrust this…” I murmured. Then came a wave of purple cape, carried by a tall, nervous man. Frank Zhang, with Hazel Levesque at his side, grinning at him.

“Zhang,” I greeted as I walked to him, careful not to skip away.

He bowed. “Reyna. Good to see you.”

“You look great in your praetor clothes. Anyway, I have something to discuss with you.” Hazel started walking backwards, but I gestured for her to stay. “You can come, Hazel.”

I did not feel the necessity to bring them in the Senate House, so I dragged the both of them someplace deserted.

“Listen, Zhang, I know this will be your first day of praetorship, however, I need to visit the other camp. To… see what’s going on.”

Zhang seems to understand for he nodded with a determined expression, and a sigh of relief escaped my lips. Not too obvious, is it?

"I understand that you want to see Ja--" I shot him a warning look. He immediately shut his mouth. Zhang is a good man, yes. Very... Frank.

"Watch out for Octavian. Order him around if you want to," I suggested with a smile. A grin was already forming on his face, in Hazel's as well. They like the idea very much.

The next day, I packed a few things in a bag, left a few advices to Frank and Hazel, and sped off for Camp Half-Blood. For Jason.