Once and For All (Or is it?)

Spot took me back to the Brooklyn lodging house. I ran ahead and flipped off of crates and such, shooting my arrows at random targets. Spot walked along with Quicksilver by his side, smiling at my flipping and shooting.

"Ya gonna hoit yaself." he called out to me. Quicksilver yipped in agreement. Spot looked at her with an amused expression. "An' I swear ya wolf can understand us."

"What can I's say?" I called back, running at a wall and backflipping off of it, shooting an arrow at the same time. "We found each odda when we's were kids, so she was  bound ta learn stuff."

"'Sides," I added, landing on my feet and falling into pace with Spot. "I's can go ta you when I need somethin'."

We reached Brooklyn and I immediately climbed up onto Spot's 'throne'. He climbed up after me while Quicksilver curled up on two crates. 

"It's hot." Spot stated randomly.

"Den jump in da harbor." I told him.

He shook his head. "Too cold."

"Den stay hot."

"But it's too hot." he complained again.

I sighed. "Well, pick one. I ain't stayin' for ya ta make a decision all afternoon."

I carefully stood up, gauging my distance from my location to the harbor and muttering under my breath. Then, taking a deep breath, I turned around and backflipped off, and then turned over and front-flipped in mid-air, then angled my body so that I was like an arrow piercing the water. I dove in with a loud splash, startling some of the smaller boys playing

When I resurfaced, I heard loud cheers and whistling. I looked up to Spot, who was smirking. The other boys followed my gaze, then each of them grew a scheming grin.

"Dive competition!" one shouted. 

"Water day!" another added.

Spot put his cane and slingshot down on his throne and took off his shirt, showing perfectly toned abs. I blushed and turned my gaze back to the other boys, throwing them a challenging look. They all instantly whooped and took off most of their clothing, immediately lining up at the some stacked crates which--apparently--served as their "diving board". One by one they jumped in with an artsy flourish and landed in the water with a resounding splash. I never knew the Brooklyn newsies had an artistic side.

They all jumped in until Spot was left on the dock. He looked down at the harbor to see that we had cleared--scratch that--the Brooklynites cleared a way for Spot to jump in, leaving me in the middle of the path. 

Spot took a deep breath, then flipped into the water, dousing everyone and earning a few shouts. He ignored them and swam over to me, stopping in front of me.

I looked him in the eye, smiling, then suddenly slammed my hand sideways into the water--as if I was chopping it--and soaked him. He shook his head after the water fell, his hair spraying water in all directions. By the time he opened his eyes again, I was about 10 feet away from him. He smirked evilly, then swam after me. I ducked under the water and swam under him, tugging at his ankle as I passed under him. Then I darted away in a flurry of bubbles. 

Spot whirled around under the water, then swam to the surface, took a breath of air and ducked underwater. Again, I zipped under him and tugged him on his ankle, but harder this time. He twisted around, but I disappeared in another flurry of bubbles. Blowing dejected bubbles, he rose to the surface. 

I was just getting out of the water when I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and pull me back into the water. I fell in with a surprised shriek. Underwater, the person spun me around and I came face to face with Spot. I smiled and quickly swam away before he could do anything. I felt around for currents, and upon finding one, I jumped in its path and it carried me away from Spot until he became a distant speck in the water. I could still see him, but a speck nonetheless.

I jumped out of the current when I thought appropriate, then rose to the surface to take a deep breath. Looking around, I saw that I was still fairly close to the dock and the shore, where the Brooklynites were watching me. They were waving their arms as if warning me about something. Almost as if someone was going to--

Too late I realized that Spot was coming up behind me. I tried to swim away again, but he caught me and pulled me close, putting his arms around me and nuzzling my neck.

"Tryin' ta run away, are we?" he asked jokingly.

I didn't say anything but smile contentedly. "Come on, Spot. Race ya ta da docks!"

I squirmed out of his grasp and shot off through the water, not looking back. Soon, I saw the dock's poles in the water and reached my hands up onto the edge of the dock and pulled myself up, dripping wet. I laid there, sprawled out on the dock for a few seconds, catching my breath. Spot hoisted himself up on the dock a few minutes later, chest heaving and also dripping wet. He laid next to me, combing his fingers through his hair to get it out of his face and staring at the sky like me.

"I don't knows what happened ta Jacky-boy." he said randomly. "I mean, he started da strike, an' now he's turnin' his back on it? An' us too!"

I wisely stayed silent, knowing that if I took Jack's side--which I really wanted to do, watching the movie millions of times and all--Spot would blow up at me and would avoid me until he couldn't stand being alone. 

"What's up wit dat?" Spot went on. "Ya got friends, an' family, an' a goil, an' a strike to keep alive-"

At this point, I had tuned him out and snapped loudly, summoning Quicksilver, who came trotting up instantly. Spot didn't seem to notice; he probably was too busy ranting to take note of much. Quicksilver laid down next to me and I stroked her fur as Spot yammered on, staring at the stars that were just starting to peek out. I answered with "uh-huh" and "yeah" occasionally, not really listening to him speak.

"I heard Jack was only doin' dat ta help his friends." I stated slowly, but boldly.

Spot immediately stopped talking and turned to face me. "Ya takin' da scab's side now?!"

I winced. I knew it. But it was worth the risk. Spot will come around eventually.

He sighed. "I shoulda known. You'se a traitor too."

He got up and walked away, leaving me with Quicksilver, who raised her head to watch Spot leave, her upper lip curling upwards in a snarl.

"Calm down, girl." I reassured her. "Spot never said I wasn't allowed back in Brooklyn, so you can play with the others you like to play with."

She lowered her head, but still was snarling. I sighed and got up. It was time I paid a visit to the Manhattan newsies again.