Jack?!

That night, David and a few others slipped out and made their way to the refuge. I quietly made my way to Brooklyn, but I left Quicksilver sleeping on the fire escape.

Running through the streets, I soon found my way to the dock where I watched a sunset with Spot. He was sitting on the edge, staring out at the water.

"Somethin' pretty out dere tonight?" I asked, coming up behind him.

He turned his head and grinned at me. "Not as pretty as you'se."

I blushed. "Eva da romantic one." I muttered, sitting down next to him and laying my head on his shoulder.

"So, what'd Denton say?" Spot asked, changing the subject.

"He said dat he was reassigned back ta his old job as da Sun's ace war correspondent. He's leavin' soon." I paused, thinking. "Oh, an' David's plannin' on breakin' Jack outta da Refuge tonight wit da help of a few oddas."

"Huh. Ya gonna stay tonight?" Spot asked.

I jerked my head off of his shoulder. "What kinda question is dat? If I's stay in 'Hattan, I'sell be bored, 'cause I's got nobody ta talk to."

Spot opened his mouth to answer, but I put a hand over his mouth. "An' don't say dat I's got da guys. Dat's true, but I's would radda talk ta you'se."

"Awww, you'se cute when you'se angry." he replied with a playful smirk. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close.

"Shaddap." I warned him.

But of course he paid me no mind--being the arrogant king he was--and continued teasing me. Sighing, I pinched the bridge of my nose. I stopped mid-sigh, getting an idea. An evil smirk appeared on my face and before Spot could realize what was going on, I pushed him into the water.

The last thing I saw before his head went under was his indignant and slightly amused expression. I was rolling on the dock, laughing and holding my sides since they throbbed from laughing so hard. Spot hoisted himself up onto the dock, dripping water, and a slight frown on his face.

"Really, Arrow?!" he whined. Except I didn't answer. I was too busy laughing to respond. A moment later, I felt a few drops of water on the side of my face, and instantly stopped laughing. I slowly turned my head to face Spot, who was smirking and leaning over me. Not to mention the water dripping off of him.

"Oh no. Ohnohnohnohno." I hurriedly cursed, shooting up and trying to run a safe distance away. But of course, Spot grabbed my wrist and pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around me, soaking my dry clothes.

"Aww, Spot." I complained. "Ya had ta get me wet."

"Yeah, so? Ya can't get mad at me 'cause ya love me." he retorted, picking me up bridal style and carrying me to his room.

"Touché."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked to the distribution center with Spot the next day. We waited outside of the distribution center, and I was bored out of my mind. Spot moved away to break up a fight between two smaller boys when he tapped Race on the shoulder.

"Hey Race." he said.

"What?" Race replied.

"Tell me I'm seein' things. Just tell me I'm seein' things." Spot continued, looking at the distribution center gates. Jack had walked out and cleaned up nicely. He was holding a stack of newspapers under his arm and avoiding our gazes. I winced. Yeah, I remembered this part didn't sit well with everybody.

"No, ya ain't seein' things. Dat's Jack! What's he doin'?" I replied, playing along. Can't have suspicions, y'know.

"He's dressed like a scabber!" Spot answered.

"I think we's all got dat, Mista Obvious. Tell us somethin' we don't knows." I muttered sarcastically. Spot sent a small glare my way before turning back to Jack.

"Jack? Jack, look at me, will ya?" Mush cried at Jack. "Come on, it's me, Mush. Look at me. What're ya doin', Jack?"

"Dis ain't happenin'." Blink added. "Dis-"

"Oh, dis is happenin', Blink." I retorted. "Face it."

A chorus of "Hey!" and "Friends, huh?" and "I trusted ya." rang out from us. David just stared at Jack with a look mixed with contempt, confusion, and betrayal.

"He sold us out!" Spot yelled.

"I'll give ya a new suit!" Race added angrily. "You bum! I'll soak ya!"

"Hey, hey, hey." Spot told him, shoving him out of the way. "Let me get my hands dirty! Com'ere ya dirty, rotten scabber! Traitor!" He leaped at Jack again, but I stuck out an arm and held him back. Actually, correction. I stuck out an arm and tried to hold him back, but that didn't work. So, I stepped out in front of him, looked him right in the eye and put my hands on his temples, shielding his eyes from seeing anything on the sides, except for me.

"Spot, calm down." I told him firmly. His nostrils flared once and his eyes hardened for a split second, then softened and he took my hands off the side of his face, giving me an apologetic smile.

Weasel--no, I refuse to call him Wiesel--saw David staring at Jack and invited him over. "Aww. You wanna talk to him? Come on, come on." he said as David came forward tentatively. "Sure. Go right ahead."

David walked up to Jack and looked him in the eye. We didn't hear what they were saying from our position, but since I've watched Newsies so many times, I already knew what they were saying.

David comes back to us a few minutes later, but turns back to look at Jack, who gives him an "What are you gonna do?" look.

"What'sa matta? Got a problem?" Jack taunted.

David suddenly lunged at Jack, but Weasel and a few Bulls hold him back.

"Maybe you'd like a new suit of your own, huh?" Weasel offers.

David spits in his face and snarls, "Never! Never!"

Weasel frowns and pushes him away. "Get outta here! Get outta here!"

Jack starts to walk away and the same Bulls surround him so that we can't give him a good soaking. The newsies shout at him again, calling out mocking insults.

"He's foolin' 'em, so he can spy on 'em or somethin'. Yeah, yeah, that's it!" Les cried, attempting to lift our spirits. "He's foolin' 'em!"

Race put his arm around Les's shoulders. "Yeah, he's spyin' on 'em, kid."