Chapter 25: Saying Goodbye

I'm dedicating this last chapter to all of you. You supported me, cheered me on, commented, liked and read my story throughout this incredible journey. I probably wouldn't have finished it without you, my awesome readers (yes, it's truly humbling to say that).  I find this moment a bit bittersweet. I'm excited and so happy to be able to write 'The End' at the end of this chapter and complete another story. I hope you all find my future stories just as entertaining, or more so than this one. Hopefully, they will be even better edited. I do have another project already in the works. It'll be a short story with a Christmas theme, cause, you know... December and stuff. Anyway, here you go. The conclusion to Midnight Flock. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sang's POV

The mood was somber as I paced. It had been a week since I was drugged and Jimmy shot. I was only in the hospital for a few days, Jimmy was not so lucky. We were dressed in black, waiting on North to finish getting ready. He had been different since that night. Quieter, more closed off, grumpier than usual. I wanted to give him some time to come to terms with everything that happened, but I was afraid I was going to lose him. He was guilty. We all knew that, but what was done was done. We can't change the past and we can't control other people's decisions. Jimmy made the choice to jump between North and the bullet in order to save us.

"North, get your ass down here. Now. We have to get going." I hollered up the stairs to him. We were going to miss our chance to say good-bye if we didn't leave immediately. North, his mood darker than I've ever seen it, stomped down the steps. I took a moment to admire his massive frame before grabbing his hand and leading him to the waiting vehicles. Owen and Sean had essentially grounded North following our last mission. Not as punishment, but to give him time to cope with the events that happened. He was carrying around a massive amount of guilt for what happened to me and Jimmy and until he got his head wrapped around that, he wasn't going to be effective to us out in the field. He already had a few therapy sessions and I could tell it was making a difference.

After his third and latest session, he sat me down and we talked about that night and what happened and he opened up more than he ever had before about how he felt, his fears and how he interrupted everything that happened. It was a talk we both needed. I felt closer to him now that I ever had before. He wasn't the only one who had to meet with the therapist. I had a few rounds as well, to ensure there weren't any residual issues after I was drugged. It helped to talk to her about my relationship with the guys. She allowed me to look at things and the betrayal through a different perspective. She helped me realize that though the guys kept me from taking the gun safety course for months, they didn't do it maliciously. They genuinely thought they were helping me. It wasn't okay that they did it, but our family wasn't in jeopardy of falling apart. Like any relationship, we just needed to continuously work at things.

We passed Haru, Caden and Liam, who were waiting out front for us. Our car was just stopping when I jumped out at the protest of North, Luke, Gabe and Silas and ran to Team Ito. I wrapped my arms around Haru, my heart squeezing painfully at the loss to their family. I don't know what I would do if we lost one of our family members. I'd be devastated. Their eyes were all dry, but none of them were clear, puffy, red, swollen faces met mine; they were having trouble keeping it together. Though Jimmy had only been part of their team for a short time, they had bonded and I could tell that the loss of a brother was hitting them.

"It's ok guys. Jimmy wouldn't want to see you so upset." I made sure to reach out and reassure each of them.

"I know. I just feel guilty about everything. I should have done more. I should have been better. I should have been able to keep him safe." Haru admitted.

"Hey now. The whole night went sideways for all of us. Even though the outcome was heartbreaking, we should be proud of what we accomplished." Once we arrived at the hospital and there was nothing more our teams could do for either Jimmy or I, they focused back on the mission at hand. Victor and Corey immediately started sifting through the data we secured from Candy's father's computer. It was the nail in the coffin for the sex trafficking ring. We had account numbers, client lists, schedules, information on all the girls. We even had some video of the initiation process for a few of the girls under their control. The evidence was damning and our contacts on the police force assured us that this should be everything they need to make sure everyone spent a long time in jail. We were able to get most of the girls some help, into rehabilitation facilities and start the processes of healing. Unfortunately, there wasn't any evidence that Dick at Club Midnight had anything to do with the sex ring. It was just an easy place for the Jamison Park Gang to meet up and discuss business.