Chapter 21:

Sky's POV:

I glanced around with a smirk at the 20 riders in the advanced cross country class, the intermediate had 25 and the beginner had 15, which made a total of 60 riders, since the rules of the Finale stated that there had to be 6 riders only per team.

Riders crowded the huge field at the beginning of the advanced course, some took the practise jumps set up on the grass and some were looking over the course map, which was pinned up in every available location.

Onyx snorted and pawed the ground with his foreleg. I could tell he was watching the other horses, just like I was watching the other riders. All six of the team Alberta riders were competing at this level and they looked ready. Their horses were fit and had scope to their jumps. I watched the riders positions over each of the practise jumps, they were good.

Really good.

" So "

I turned as Jewel trotted Shadow over to me and Onyx. Marlo was still warming up and taking a few more practise jumps. We were all changed into Navy Ariat® Prix Polo shirts but different breeches. Jewel had white, I had black and Marlo had also chosen black. We each had our own boots and half chaps and also had our Point Two P2-RS Hybrid Cross Country Vests, in case we fell or worse. The vest was designed to inflate if we had a serious fall. Since it was mandatory, we all had our medical armband with all our medical history and info on it, juts incase and our helmets of course. Lastly we had all grabbed our watches to time our rides and check our time in the middle of the course.

" What do you think? " Jewel asked as she glanced around at the riders.

I shifted in Onyx's Stubben Zaria Optimum with Biomex Saddle, which I had paired with a Fleeceworks™ Wool Square Pad, EquiFit® Anatomical T-Foam™ Jumper Girth, Wellington Five-Point Competition Breastplate and Fancy Stitched Raised Standing Martingale. I adjusted the reins of his Dy'on® Difference Bridle as we watched a girl on a flashy Palomino canter by in a blur.

" I think we can win this " I replied, my smirk returning.

" You really think so? " Jewel replied.

Onyx shifted in his Kentucky® Solimbra® D30® Eventing Boots and Veredus® Carbon Shield Horse Boots. He wanted to go more than anything, so it was a good thing we were up first, then Marlo and then all the other riders before Jewel, since she was going last.

" Please, this is our turf, our home, we know this course better than anyone, we'll win this no problem " I replied, trying to be loud enough for the other riders to hear me. My competitive side was starting to bubble to the surface, but I didn't try to hold it back this time. This was my element, not to mention Onyx's element to.

I knew we were going to do well.

My competitive attitude must've been contagious because Jewel sat up taller in Shadows Vega Monoflap Event Saddle By Amerigo, which she had paired with his Medallion Competition Saddle Pad with Super Quilt® Lining saddle pad, Stubben Contoured Girth, Micklem Deluxe Competition Bridle, Wellington Five-Point Competition Breastplate and the same boots as Onyx.

Marlo suddenly rode over to us. " Are you two coming to warm up more or what? " she asked and Marco snorted.

" Of course " Jewel replied as she trotted Shadow into the huge crowd of riders and horses. She pushed him into an easy canter and pointed him at one of the practise jumps, a log pile. Shadow leapt the pile with easy, seeming to show off by really stretching himself while he was in the air. I saw a few of the riders from team Ontario stop and watch, probably trying to pick up a few tips.

" She's good " Marlo said, turning back to face me.

" She's always good, we all are, that's why I know we're going to win " I replied as I pushed Onyx into a canter. I circled him and headed straight for another practise jump.