One Step Closer

(A/N: I added one of my favorite sound tracks from Fullmetal Alchemist. Listen to it if you dare. >:) )

CHAPTER

Days passed, I trained hard in the dojo, trying to avoid Leo. Mustang was working too; sometimes he left for days, so he would send a solider to watch over me. I never understood his precautions; maybe he was afraid of being robbed.

On days I didn't have to go to the dojo, I practiced Alchemy in a meadow I found when I snuck away from the soldier, unfortunately, I had to share. It was where Leo practiced too, watching me intently.

Days went on like this for about six months. Until, Roy returned from a big mission the day before I ended my training at the dojo. To end it, we were having a tournament against another dojo from the other side of Central. I was excited and knew I'd kick butt, since Havoc, my new adult best friend, had promised to come. I had told him it wasn't necessary, but he disregarded it, saying it was just to get out of work.

The tournament was going to take place on the courtyard behind the military headquarters. Who ever won, graduated, who ever lost, graduated. It was fun like that.

I woke up that morning, seeing a still sleeping Roy across the room, snoring away. I got dressed in the baggy white shirt and gray pants that was a weak excuse of a uniform and ran out the door.

On my way, I put my hair up in my usual ponytail, seeing Leo waiting for me at the entranceway of the courtyard.

"So what are you going to do after you graduate?" He asked me, falling in step aside me.

I had already thought of this in my time of practicing in the meadow, I just at to approach Roy with it. "You've seen what I can do with alchemy; I'm going to become a State Alchemist." I said, determined.

He grinned. "After that date?" He pushed.

I actually considered it this time. "I'll think about it." I finished as we approached Kia.

"Vera! Good you're here, your fight number... eight." He said, then turned to Leo and told him some number I didn't catch.

The courtyard had new white lines on it, in a big rectangle, the one not fighting stood on the sides, the ones fighting on the inside.

I watched the first fights went by in a flash. Soon, Leo stood up, hearing his number, seven.

"Good luck," I whispered.

He turned on me, with fake bewilderment. "What no kiss? DARN! I might as well lose now!" He said turning around.

He fought gracefully, unlike the giant against him. He was packed with muscle, I wondered to myself if he was Armstrong's son. The odds were against him though, and Leo one, bowing, he headed back to his seat.

"Eight." The speaker called, I gulped loudly. Leo patted my shoulder and pushed me across the white lines.

I made my way to the centre, facing my opponent. She was short, about my height, but with red-orange hair and bright blue eyes. I could tell she had more muscle then me, I was already at a disadvantage.

I looked past her shoulder to the source of the cheering. Blue uniforms lined a large section of the side of the rectangle. Looks like Havoc brought friends I thought.

"Begin." Came the voice again. The girl came at me full speed, left fist aiming at my face, I caught it and flipped her.

"Never go for the easy kill." I told as I watched her jump away.

She approached me again, attempting to kick my chin; I hit her leg away, setting her off balance. I moved over to her side and kneed her in the stomach. She fell to her knees, but before I could get away, swept her leg under mine. Now on my knees, I felt something connect with my ribs, she went for a second shot but I used my left arm to grab her knee.

She clawed at my arm for sometime as I tightened my grip, getting up. After she realized she wasn't doing anything, she went for my face, hitting me once. Getting frustrated I grabbed both her fists and flipped her. Pinning her arms behind her back, and letting her struggle until she gave up.

"Winner: Vera." Came the speaker.

There were cheers and hoots from my dojo and the miniature army off to the side. For the fun it, I blew kissed at the army, some of the men pretended to faint, sending me laughing as I rejoined my group.

Kia presented me with a black belt. I took it gratefully, bowing to him and thanking him for teaching me. I watched a few more fights with Leo, commenting on good or bad moves. Once he started talking about that date again, I went to answer him went I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Looking up, I returned his smile. "Roy... I mean Mustang. I thought you had to work?" I said.

He shook his head. "What? Who do you think brought the army?" I shook my head as he helped me up. I waved bye to Leo who was looking at me as if I was a god.

Mustang escorted me back to where the army was gathered. I was blasted with comments by Havoc and Armstrong, who proceeded to do one of his world renowned fits. For the first time in a long time, I felt truly happy.

CHAPTER

When I got home, I quickly changed into black pants and my favorite purple shirt. Mustang and I were going out for dinner tonight, a perfect time to talk. I undid my hair, brushing through it with my fingers. I looked ok; I decided as I look at the mirror.

I finally looked at my eyes, and gasped. They were back to the shocking yellow. I smiled at jumped out of the room, joining Mustang in our quest for food.

On our walk, I evaluated the changes. I now looked at Roy as a father; I refer to his home as mine. A grown man is my best friend, that needs to change. I also practically have a... boyfriend. I shook that thought of my head, no, not going to happen.

We were sitting down in a nice restraint, I order a salad, while Mustang, a stake or something. Once the waiter was gone, I spoke.

I gave him the most serious look I could conjure. "I want to be a state-"

"NO." He said, still looking through a menu.

I gaped. "What do you mean no! I've worked hard, every day of my life since you found me. You can't just turn me down!"

He sighed and stayed quiet for a few moments. "What's tomorrow?" It was rhetorical. Tomorrow was my birthday, and the anniversary of my father's death.

I shook my head. "So?" I said quietly.

"So," he said in a persuasive tone. "Think about it for one more day, and if you decide to do it, I'll by you all the books you want tomorrow." I almost jumped out of my seat.

"Alright." I said, as a waiter brought our food. "Oh and can we get a cat?"

I swear I heard him whimper.