Awakening

(A/N: I wrote this fan fiction off the Fullmetal Alchemist. Question Comments, you know where to put them. The photo is a human transmutation circle designed by the Elric Brothers, also the one my character used.)

My hearing started to pick up things just as my consciousness seemed to come back. The bed I was laying on was uncomfortable and smelt like straw. Light shown on my eyelids, forbidding me to sleep again. I slowly opened my eyes to release I was in a large hospital room, with a window right at my side. My vision was blurry but slowly cleared. 

Then, it clicked, why I was here and what had happened. I slowly turned my eyes on my body, and screamed out in shock and pain, becoming fully aware. Tears split from my eyes, I gave in no effort to calm myself down. Equivalence my ass, I lost an arm and two legs for nothing, I thought. I continued to thrash and cry uncontrollably for some time, I felt hands on me, holding me down, yelling things that didn't matter to me at the moment.  

The thought that finally made me come to again had been the thought of the gate, what I had seen. It gave the illusion of being the truth, when it was in full, a living hell. I sent my gaze out the window, what does mother think. I felt that I wouldn't be welcomed there again. I was lost in my mind when I noticed the stranger watching me.  

He had jet-black hair, with curious eyes full of amusement. I could tell he had seen a lot from his eyes. A few strands of his hair fell in front of his face, giving him a boyish look overall. A silver scar draped over his left eye, showing he was not to be messed with. He wore a blue army uniform, with one look at his rank, I was fully on guard.  

"Sir," I said quietly. He raised a quizzical eyebrow. "H-how long have you been here?"  

He watched me carefully. "Ever since you came in, I even saw your little break-down." He said while shrugging. He paused and looked at me more thoughtfully. "I know why you're here and what you did. My patrol found your little hide out. We've known of it some time now, we just thought it was for fun. I guess you had bigger plans. This hasn't happened in a while, you're lucky you lived." He ran a hand through his hair, an angry gleam in his eyes for a moment, and then it was gone in a flash. 

"Aren't you going to punish me or something?" I said shyly but quickly. "I did perform a taboo..." I said in a small whisper.  

He chuckled before turning back to me. "Well, first off, you can call me Mustang, or Cornel. Secondly, I plan to escort you to Resemboul. There you will replace your limbs with auto mail and I can visit a few old friends on vacation."  

He must have disregarded my whisper, which troubled me but relieved me at the same time. 

"Auto-mail?" How was I going to pay for this, I groaned mentally. I decided to ask it out loud. 

The Cornel looked lost for a second. "Well, doesn't you mother have money saved up or something?" I shot a worried, but fierce look. 

"That's the thing, my mom forbid alchemy. I wasn't allowed to use it in the house, hence the 'hideout'. I wouldn't be surprised if she hunts me down and kills me in a few days." I shrugged. "Even when we had my... fathers' job, we still were struggling." Well, there goes my life story. 

He only nodded and thought for a while, then tried to pick up a casual conversation. "I know another person like you who did the same thing. But that's not the point, what were you practicing before the... uhm... accident?"  

I was quiet for a few moments before deciding to tell him more. "Electricity, like shock waves and such. It's hard to explain when you don't know the basics." Then something hit me like a brick. "With auto-mail, will I be able to use alchemy still?" I said quietly. I had ruined my whole life, if I lose alchemy... 

"Yes, have you heard of Major Edward Elric?" Then he shook his head quickly. "Don't answer that. But I know you will be able to still transmute." Encouraged, I listened as he said he'd be back for me tomorrow and to get some real rest.  

I listened to his footsteps quietly, moving away from my room. I slid down deeper under the covers, and with my eyes closing, begged for the nightmares to stay away.

CHAPTER 

I woke up to Mustang shaking me violently and nearly yelling for me to wake up.  

"What?" I said, still in a haze as I looked towards him, only to notice the person behind him. He was BIG; about six foot five, if not that. Under his blue uniform, you could tell that most of his weight was giant muscles. He had a bony face, with a thick blonde mustache and baby blue eyes.  

"Uhm... What's your name again?" Mustang said sheepishly.  

"Vera." I said irritably.  

"Yea, whatever, this is Major Armstrong, he'll be accompanying us on our journey to Resemboul." He said impatiently. "Are you ready to go?" 

"What the... of course I'm not, I have to fix my hair and put on my clothes.' I said in an all too serious tone just to tick him off, but I really didn't like hospital gowns. He moved around the room in a fuss, grabbing a chair that was across the room and putting it into what I thought was the bathroom, then moved my clothes into there as well. Mustang continued his rant by picking me up and setting me down in the chair in the bathroom.  

Sighing, I let him win as I got ready. He was probably only nice yesterday because he felt bad for me, I thought to myself while sliding on my shorts. I was a hard feat, getting dressed with one arm, but I did it. I scooted the chair over to the mirror, feeling more useless than ever.  

My light brown hair looked faded, only making my eyes stand out. But they weren't gold anymore, they looked black, which made me frown. I hope they would turn back when I fully heal, I loved my eyes.  

'Ok, I'm ready!" I yelled, and then started to wait for someone to pick me up. Mustang, still cursing under his breath came charging in awkwardly. He carefully lifted me so my right side was pressed against him. I slung my only arm around his neck, right of course. I felt horribly useless as he carried me down the hospital corridor. I closed my eyes, pretending I was elsewhere, some place where I could walk on my own.  

My dream was short lived as I felt a finger pressing against my check. "Ma'am, are you still ok?" Said a gruff voice who I believed to be Major Armstrong.  

'Yes, I'm fine. Why do you ask?' As I spoke, we stepped outside. The city of Central looked huge from atop the stairs of the hospital. The sun kissed my skin as Mustang descended down the stairs.  

"Never mind." He said, continuing ahead to an awaiting car.  

I evidently ended up sitting in between both of them, making me doubt my original five foot three stature. The car came to an abrupt stop after a few minutes, only to have Armstrong pick me up. Although muscular, his arms were very uncomfortable. I sat pouting until we found our seats in the train; he set me opposite of him and Mustang, only to bear their evil glares.  

I tried to stare out the window at the passing scenery, I know what the town was called, but not where it was, but I did know we were heading south-east. I was distracted when Mustang but a blanket around the reminder of my limbs (?), followed by a protective pat on the shoulder.  

I was baffled for a few seconds, but when I opened my mouth to speak his hand cut me off and he shook his head. That was different, I said mentally. Then it clicked, I turned my head slowly to the people surrounding us, most of the children and young adults had their eyes on me. For the first time, I felt rejected, a freak, something kids should not be around. The stares they were giving me, it almost physically hurt.  

I redirected my attention back to the window, angry now. I knew I had many emotions built up, that's why I need to release it, my static charge. It's something I've built up during the years from my type of alchemy. I could feel it inside me, keeping me warm sometimes, sometimes begging to be released. I had to use alchemy soon.  

The train stopped, shaking me from my nap, but I didn't open my eyes, I could still sleep. I started to relax again when I heard Mustang whisper 'We're here.' Then continue to pick me up.