Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The weather takes a turn for the worst when I wake, the sound of rain swooping in against the window hammering in my ears. The room smells of strawberry perfume, settled in to the air. James is out for the count under the sheets. I almost want to take a photo to capture the ridiculous style of his hair, but from past experience I know my revenge can be matched with much more hellfire.

An empty can of Sprite lies abandoned on the Ken doll's dresser, and I take a swig automatically, trying to wake myself up. Bubbles burn in my throat and sound an alarm in my head. I am dressed and ready to go before the fizz has melted away.

Not that I know where I'm going, of course. Probably to see Star. I leech onto her like a starfish to a rock. Where would I be without my key to the academy? She is a skeleton key, an all access pass, and I have her there if I ever feel the need to use her. The problem is that I don't care to. One friend is enough for me, one private place an enormous promise in itself. I don't feel that I need anything else.

The perfume in the air seems strangely familiar as I go to open the curtains beside James, like when you know the name of something but just can't get it. It's a smell that makes me feel kind of sheepish, though I haven't done anything particularly embarassing in the past few minutes.

Perhaps it's Principal Huntley's perfume?

It takes a few seconds for my brain to process my thoughts, and I snigger to myself when I realize what I have just said- or thought. Star's father is much more professional than that. I highly doubt he sprays strawberry perfume all over himself in the mornings.

And with that stupid thought, James stirs in his bed, his eyes flickering open and closed. He drowsily rolls over to his side and reaches out, blind for his phone. His fingers meet with the half-empty can of Sprite as I watch from the side, and he seems to decide it'll do, because he takes a big scull before leaving it. I smile to myself.

"You look more dead than usual."

James suddenly wakes up properly, his eyes snapping open at my voice. He processes that I'm watching him in a split fraction of a second.

"What the hell? You've been watching me sleep?"

I feel my cheeks flush red, and then I realize whose perfume it is. I'm embarassed for spitting out spiked punch in front of the school princess. That's who the strawberry perfume belongs to. Bridgit's lingering scent is filling up the room, like a veil across the entire dormitory. I forget to be embarassed and start quizzing James.

"Yeah, whatever, sorry. Why can I smell Bridgit's perfume?" The accusation sounds a little strange, but that's the last thing on my mind right now.

"Good question. All I remember is that you were sleep-talking when she was here."

He doesn't realize he's let it slip, but I notice straight away. "You were with Bridgit in here?" A painfully disturbing idea dawns on me, and I shudder at the mere thought. "Don't tell me you two did that right next to me."

Wearily, the Ken doll lets out a laugh, which comes as a surprise. "Relax, loser. I'm not that much of a heartbreaker."

I almost burst out laughing in spite of myself at his pathetic comment. Everybody knows what a womaniser this guy is. How can he even dare to defend himself? I think of how he is always out at night and why Bridgit's perfume hovers around his bed.

"You did. God, you disgust me."

"We didn't!" James protests, sitting up in bed. "We really didn't. I'm not doing that. I'm... uh, trying something new."