Chapter Twenty-Two: Goodbye </3

The final bell rang, causing me to sigh.

                “Is something wrong, D?” Miranda asked, standing over me.

                I shook my head and smiled, “No. Not really.”

                She smirked, “Upset that Mr. Carter isn’t here today?”

                I shot her glare, but it didn’t hold any malice.

                Why wasn’t he here today?

                Instead, I sighed and stood up, “Are you coming over today?”

                “Yep.” She popped, “Val and I are going to check out the latest Hollywood Undead CD together and probably make dinner.”

                I smirked, “You and Valery seem to be getting along pretty well. Wanna tell me something?”

                Her eyes widened and she shook her head quickly, “Uh-uh. No way, dude. You and I both know that I like Matt.”

                “You do?”

                Miranda’s eyes widened and she whirled around, only to see Matt standing at the doorway.

                “Oh look. This is my queue to leave. I’ll see you two tomorrow.”

                Miranda grabbed my wrist, “You did that on purpose, didn’t you?”

                I looked innocently away, “What? Me? Of course not. You just so happen to say that when I told Matt to meet us here, that’s all.”

                Her eyes narrowed and I smiled, winking, “I’ll see you later.”

                As soon as I was out of the room, I smirked.

                Hopefully those two can… talk.

                The air outside was warm, the sun shining brightly. I had to shield my eyes from it’s rays just to see ahead of me. I shrugged off my black jacket and let the red tank-top reflect on the cemented ground.

                “What took you so long?” Mr. Carter’s voice rang out.

                “Just talking to Miranda for a little bit. What about you?” I asked, stepping up to his mustang, “Why weren’t you in school today?”

                Something flashed in his eyes, but it was gone quickly. He opened the passenger door for me, “Get in. There’s something we need to talk about.”

                I raised an eyebrow, but did as he said, climbing in the car and buckling up.

                He followed shortly after, starting the car and heading out of the parking lot.

                “So what’s up?” I asked, suffocated by the silence.

                He sent me a smirk, but it quickly vanished as he looked ahead at the road, eyes not entirely focusing.

                “Do you like Val?” He asked.

                I furrowed my eyebrows, “Yeah, why?”

                “So you can tolerate her living with you?”

                I smiled a little, “Is that what you’re worried about? Of course she can move in. It ­is your house, Mr. Carter.”