Chapter 1- Meeting Him

Chapter 1

"You'll be okay," he promised me. His husky voice held so much conviction, but I didn't believe him. I couldn't believe him. He was my kidnapper. I didn't respond to him. He didn't care anyways. He just kept dragging me along behind him. I was trying to appear strong, but I was breaking down. My heart felt like it was about to break out of my chest from how quickly it was beating. I was almost positive that he could hear it. He. Who is he? I wish I knew.

I had gotten off work late and was insanely exhausted. It was just after midnight and I was shutting down the small convenient store that I helped manage. The rest of the employees had long since gone home since my boss let them off early. I wasn't so lucky. I turned off all of the lights, locked all of the doors and windows, and flipped over the "We're Open!" sign to let everyone know that we were closed. I don't know why we even bothered with the sign. In the part of town we were located, if someone really wanted to get in our store, it didn't matter if we were open or not.

The cool summer night air hit me as soon as I walked out of the store and I began to shiver. I pulled my jacket tighter around me and began the three block walk on the abandoned streets to my crappy apartment. It was cheap though, so I couldn't really complain.

This walk. This walk was about to change my life. I could see a guy hanging around a little ways up the street in the shadows. I wasn't real worried, because I dealed with things like this on a daily basis, but this was different. I was completely exhausted and knew I wouldn't be able to fight back if he tried anything. I had taken down muggers before, but it had just been too long of a day. It seemed like nothing in my life was going right. And, well, things weren't about to change.

As I got closer to the mysterious lurking man, I kept my head down and my pace up. I was just about to walk right past him when he spoke to me. "You look a bit cold." It wasn't much, but it was enough to give me chills. Just in those five words, he managed to sound so determined. What he was determined for, I had not a clue.

I stopped and turned towards him. I do not know what compelled me to do this. If I had any sense, I would have just kept walking. As I turned around, he left the shadows. He walked directly in front of me, until he was standing beneath a light pole. This is when I got my first good look of him. Dressed in an old pair of blue converse, a pair of nicely fit dark jeans, a bright blue v-neck, and a black leather jacket, similar to my own, he looked like he was ready to stir up some trouble. His dark sandy blonde hair was sticking up in a purposefully messy style. He looked to be about 6'5", as he was taller than me. I was actually dressed quite the same as him. I had on a pair of red converse, dark skinny jeans, my red v-neck work shirt, and a black leather jacket. While his height was intimidating, it wasn't that bad for me as I'm around 6' myself. I'm tall for a girl, but I've learned that having height is never really a bad thing.

We stood there for a while staring at each other, neither of us saying anything. He was actually incredibly attractive. I might have been interested if I didn't see the mischievous glint in his deep brown eyes. This glint was what made me realize that I needed to run. This guy was trouble. He was up to no good.

I was about to turn on my heel and take off, when he said something that made me question if he was a mind reader. He let out a low chuckle that made me shiver- shiver from fear. "Don't bother running. I know how fast you are. But, I'm faster." He was right. I was fast. I'm number one on my high school's varsity cross country and track teams. But, apparently that wasn't going to do me any good in this situation.

I tried to compose myself as best I could as I asked him what I had been wondering the whole time. "Who are you and what do you want?" I was surprised at how cold and steady my voice came out. I was actually terrified for my life, but I wasn't going to let him know that.

He let out another chuckle as he smirked at me. "Well wouldn't you like to know?" he asked rhetorically. Then, before I even knew what was happening, I was being held bridal style in his arms. This shocked me. I wasn't heavy, but with my height, being in this position in a guy's arms was not a common occurrence. I glared at him, but didn't say anything. I was really just too exhausted to form any words. "Good girl, it's best if you don't fight back," he said. Those words were what brought me back to reality. I needed to get away from him.

Just as he had shocked me, I surprised him when I quickly jumped out of his arms and pushed him backwards. The light pole was behind him though, so he hardly even stumbled. His muscular build might also have been why he didn't stumble, but I prefer to think it was the light post. And then there went that chuckle again- that arrogant chuckle that I was becoming way too familiar with.

I knew I wasn't going to get away, so I just took a seat at the bus stop bench by the post. I looked up at him, exhaustion and annoyance clear on my face, and asked him, "What do you want from me? Really, just what do you want?"

For a second, he looked almost guilty- sympathetic, too. But he quickly turned away. He roughly grabbed my arm and started dragging me behind him. "Just come on. I won't hurt you. You'll be okay." That was what he promised me. And he actually sounded truthful in his promise, but I couldn't let myself believe him. So, there I was, being dragged along the streets to some unknown place with some unknown guy.