Falling off the Ladder

"Five, six, seven, eight!" Richelle shouted, and the first group of auditionees danced the choreography set by Noah. It was a more hip hop based section, with a few counts for the dancers to show some tricks and tumbles. Piper was watching intensely and scribbling down notes for each person, so that she'd have points to back her arguments with once she, Noah and Richelle got into the office and had to start cutting people.

Everyone applauded the group when they finished and Richelle ushered the next group into the space. "Remember to keep your heads up and prove to us why you should be picked." She told them, smiling. Piper and Noah exchanged a look of surprise at how... kind she was being, rather than being stubborn and harsh. As Richelle put the music on, one girl rolled her eyes and caught her attention. "Is there a problem?"

The girl obviously hadn't intended to be seen. She was stunned, but knew she couldn't exactly back down. She shrugged, "I just don't see how you are supposedly an authority figure."

Richelle walked back into the centre of the room and tried to ignore the comment. Everyone else had gone quiet. She was about to start counting down, when the girl started laughing with her friend and pointing at Richelle. Piper saw her laughing and told Noah to turn down the music. Piper explained to her, "She's one of the studio heads." 

"You're both like five feet tall." This girl had an attitude. Piper looked around for back up, but Richelle was already on it.

"You know what," Richelle looked her up and down, "At TNS we respect each other, so you can leave." Richelle crossed her arms and stared at the girl as she opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. She looked around her and obviously at the two other girls she had come with, but they had no intention of following her out. Richelle waved to her when she eventually moved from her spot, took up her bag and left.

Noah put the music back on, "Okay guys, don't lose focus."

Everyone moved about in their spots and re-focused. "I like a woman who takes charge." Ozzy winked at Richelle as he stepped forward into the front row, but then remembered the compromising situation he saw she and Noah in only a couple of days  ago. He went red as soon as he finished making the comment, and looked at the ground, "Sorry, Noah."

Noah felt a little awkward. They still hadn't actually discussed the kiss. He didn't say anything though, and let the dancers do their best to get on A Troupe. 

As they danced the choreography, Noah noticed that Ozzy was doing really well, but that he was also doing his best to not make eye contact with Richelle. Noah chuckled to himself.

"Good job, Ozzy." Richelle smiled at him after he landed a new flip he'd learnt. She was really impressed with how much progress he had made in his dancing. Even if he wasn't automatically going to get through to the next round because he was already on A Troupe, she would definitely move him on. Ozzy awkwardly but thankfully smiled at Richelle for the comment, once the dance was done, and then went and sat down on the benches.

The next group of dancers got up, led by Amy, and Piper gave her a reassuring nod. A tall male dancer stood next to her on the front row and smiled at her.

"I'm Matt."

"Amy."

Matt looked at Noah and Richelle who were whispering about this group of dancers. When Richelle saw him looking, he winked and Richelle raised her eyebrows. His blonde hair was particularly... nice... about him.

On the back row of dancers that had just stood up, a girl was looking up at the ceiling, which caught Noah's attention. He waited a few seconds but she was still looking. "Um, hey!" She looked at him, and he looked puzzled, "Are you okay?"