Chapter 12

"Why...?" I started saying when the teacher turned to us with an air of impatience. I cringed in my seat. It was Mr Adams, the English teacher, and also the one who directed the school theater.

"Mr. Daniel Storm, the words of Mr. Rochester at this point...?"

Daniel nodded, ''...I knew you would do me good in some way. I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you."

When he said 'you', he turned his gaze to me. I looked away in irritation. But the fact that Daniel had gotten the answer impossibly right, when he had not been listening in the first place, seemed to bug Mr Adams, further, so he directed his gaze at me.

"Miss Wynn Wright, Jane's reply when she was provoked in the garden, to Mr Rochester?"

Of course, the seemingly most difficult question to me, the non-star. Fortunately, Jane Eyre was my favourite book. I looked at the teacher and in an instant I was Jane. My eyes mirrored the pain in my voice.

“Do you think I am an automation? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!” 

I was myself again, and stared back at Mr Adams, whose eyes had warmed. I was vaguely aware of some students' mouth hanging literally open. Not that I looked, but I always seemed to be aware of Dan when he was staring at me with that strange intrigue expression.

_____________________________

He started following me after class. I was looking at him in the periphery of my eyes, just as worried as if he was a real life stalker after me on a lonely street. Except this was much worse. If he did something embarrassing here, the whole school will know. He was literally a star and I was the new girl who could be hiding dirt.

Stop. This place has freaked you out Wynn! Remember who you are! You are calm, disciplined and rational. Leave the high school melodrama for the Disney channel fans...That's right.

I was calmer now, more rational. Nothing can happen to me. I continued to listen as I picked up my pace.

Kyla was with him, talking about something. Then she stopped abruptly  and started going the opposite way. She was staring at him, but Dan just waved a hand and continued keeping the even two pace behind me follow suit.

''Just leave me alone! Can't you think about someone else to bug?'' I hissed, shutting my locker.

"I can't!'' He answered and I was surprised that he looked pained, puzzled at the fact.'' You're always on my mind." He added in resignation. But noticing my expression, he turned his old mocking self again.

"You look troubled by this fact...'' He commented, with an amused grin, probably thinking what other girls would have normally thought of that. It was yet another thing that bugged me. The constant comparison. But it did not annoy me now. What he had just said just drained the blood from my face. Having your worst fear confirmed was... 

I shook my head,"Scared will be more appropriate. Or maybe terrified..." I corrected before I could stop myself. He was shocked that I had answered truthfully as well. Another truth was I was trying to guess how many girls he had fooled with that lie. Not that he really needed it. His every feature, down to his clothes was literally hollywood standards. But I humoured him now, I probably did not want to get in an argument in public. Plus, I wanted to be in a better mood and smoothly get out of the uncomfortable situation. Laughter is sometimes the best answer. I opened my locker again. In my frustration, I had gotten the wrong book and notes.

"You know, your answer to Mr Adams was quite impressive. Have you tried for the school play?'' He asked, as he leaned on the locker next to mine, to study me further. Normally I would feel ill at ease when I was being scrutinised thus, but I was determined to be carefree now. Hopefully I will show nochalence. It was probably the fact that I seemed to affected by his words or behavior that led him on in the first place.

So cool it. You're just an ordinary girl. Nothing remotely interesting and certainly not worthy of being thought about.

This was working. I felt I was my rational self again, not too freaked out.

''Ah, I'm not good enough...'' I replied dejectedly. I was actually sure it was all a popularity contest. Kyla, out of all people had the lead female role. There is a rumour she did not even need to try out in the auditions. 

"Are you kidding? Everyone was staring at you!"

I glanced at him, an eyebrow raised, so he could see that I did not believe him.

"Seriously! They were like--'' He looked at me with an astonished expression. Well, it was supposed to be that anyway. His mouth hung open, his eyes wide and his head cocked to the side.

I started laughing out loud despite myself and this seemed to encourage him further to overdo the stunned expression right in my face. I was still laughing when I held the sides of his face to prevent him from getting closer. We stayed like that for a second too long and when I realised that, I quickly dropped by hands.

He stepped back to admire his work, his expression satisfied as I still smiled when I closed my locker.

''You should smile more often, it suits you..''He said, balancing a ball, which appeared out of nowhere, with one finger.

''I smile all the time.'' I replied, walking to my next class.

"No, you don't. Not enough. Most of the time..." He was looking away now, serious, as trying to remember,"...your eyes seem somewhat sad, but in an attractive way.'' he commented mostly to himself, slightly puzzled."But sometimes, they are like that for so long, that I worry I won't see them light up again."

I took a little step away from him when he said 'attractive', slightly on guard again. He glanced at me to show that he had noticed. But he smiled a bit, "Just like the portrait in the library at home.''

It was a grand painting of a woman dressed in a silvery white dress, gazing at the water in the middle of the night as the moon and stars shone above. The moon illuminated her beauty, but you had to concentrate to see that her eyes  were actually sad, while her expression had seemed blank at first. The moon slightly shone on her dark wings too. She was a fallen angel.

"So! I look like demon to you!'' I accused playfully, shoving him away, anything to get him off-track. "I'm gonna kick your ass!''

"No! You're beautiful!'' He answered, laughing as he caught my hand. I froze when I noticed how many people were staring.

"Don't say that!'' I blurted out, pained, like he had just uttered a profanity.

I took my hand back hastily and started walking more quickly to the french class.

He caught up with me quickly and was about to ask for an explanation when we were interrupted by Mr Adams.

''Um excuse me...Miss Albright. Miss Albright, I think I changed my mind... You can have the female lead , after all.'' He said, smiling,'' See you tomorrow at three. Keep up the good work. You have a lot of potential.''

He had not even asked me if I was still interested or why he had changed his mind. But Mr Adams was half crazy with all the things he had going on. I barely waited for him to go away.''I got the part!'' I exclaimed, jumping up and down. 

He grinned,''You'll do great. See you tomorrow then at three." He turned to go in the Gym.

''Wait, what? You're in the play too?'' I asked, stunned.

''Sure, male lead.'' He said, grinning and went inside. Now I was the one who looked after him with my mouth hanging open.