Chapter Fourteen

"Let me know when you change your mind." What on earth had his lordship meant by saying that? As if Jonathan was ever going to allow D'Anvers to touch him again, let alone make any sort of approach himself. Ha! Hell would freeze over first. 

Despite his best endeavours to stop thinking about it, his brain kept living and reliving the entire episode from the moment he had wakened to the moment he had leapt out of bed. How long had D'Anvers been in bed with him? How had his nightgown gotten to be around his waist? Had D'Anvers done ... anything ... while he was asleep? Touched him? His body burned at the thought. His mind tried unsuccessfully to slide away from the memory. He hadn't really wanted his lordship to touch him, of course he hadn't, he had just been feeling ... confused. Yes, that was it, confused, confused at finding him in his bed, right behind him. His hand on his hip, talking about sex ... Jonathan swallowed, wishing, not for the first time, that he could control his wretched blushes. 

By the time he was dressed and seated at the breakfast table, Jonathan had yet to decide whether that morning's episode constituted a breach of his agreement with Lord D'Anvers. One thing was certain, he was going to insist on moving to another room.  

Before he could bring up the subject however, Lord D'Anvers was already making other arrangements. 

"Jonathan, I'd like you to take Evelyn down to London for a week or two," he announced.  

"London? My lord?" It was certainly the last thing he had expected. 

Evelyn was staring, open mouthed, his eyes filling with excitement. 

"Yes. I've arranged for a stonemason to come out from Yorktown to have a look at the building, see what can be saved of the West Wing, if anything. In any case, we'll have to clear out what is left of the top floor and there will be bound to be dust and noise everywhere. It will be best if Evelyn is not here." He gave Jonathan a pointed look, confusing him for a moment. Of course, Jonathan realised, they would be looking to recover Harry's body from the wreckage. It would certainly be best if Evelyn was not there when they found the remains. 

The prospect must be a painful one for Lord D'Anvers, but if his Lordship was dreading the event, he showed no sign of it. He continued speaking in a matter of fact tone, as if he were talking about the weather. 

"It will be a good opportunity for you both to do some sightseeing. You can visit St Paul's and the Abbey. I'm sure it will be very educational." 

Evelyn's face fell. "I don't want to see a lot of musty old churches!" he protested. 

Lord D'Anvers' brows lowered in a frown of displeasure and Jonathan kicked Evelyn's ankle under the table.  

"I-I'm sorry, father. Naturally I will go and see them, if you think I should." 

"Indeed!" D'Anvers was still frowning.  

"Of course, my lord. It will be a wonderful opportunity for Evelyn," interposed Jonathan, swiftly. "When do we leave?" 

"Today. As soon as you are both packed, Jenkins will take you into Yorktown in the trap and you can take the two o'clock stage. I'll give you a letter of authority to draw on my account at the Clarendon." 

"Thank you, my lord."  

The next day found Jonathan and Evelyn, weary but excited, in London. They had a luxurious suite at the Clarendon but Evelyn at least was hoping they wouldn't be spending much time in it. There were so many places in London that he wanted to visit, the wild animals in the Royal Menagerie at the Exeter Exchange, and a firework display at the Vauxhall Gardens, being at the top of his list.  

In sympathy with these plans, Jonathan made sure they visited Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral first, so that Evelyn could write a polite thank you letter to his father that evening. To Evelyn's surprise, he found he actually enjoyed parts of the Abbey, especially the elaborate royal tombs tucked away in dark alcoves. 

Their duty done, as Jonathan saw it, the next few days were spent in a whirl of pleasurable activities, visiting all those places which Evelyn had heard about and which were what Jonathan considered suitable for a boy of his age. He refused firmly to take Evelyn to a cock fight nor to a boxing match, despite his earnest pleading. 

"You need to ask your father about those," suggested Jonathan. 

"Yes, sir." A mask came down over Evelyn's face.  

"Perhaps when you're older." 

Evelyn hunched a shoulder. "He never takes me any where." 

"Nowhere?" asked Jonathan, disbelieving.  

"Well, church of course, but that hardly counts!" 

Jonathan knew Lord D'Anvers was not a warm man, at least not towards his son, but surely he must have taken him somewhere. Shared some activity as a father and son. 

"I know I can't play sports like other boys," Evelyn gave him a look of mingled shame and defiance, "but we've never done anything, not even played a game of chess together. That time, when he came swimming with us, that was the first I can remember. It's as if he can't bear to be near me!" 

Evelyn looked on the verge of tears. 

Horrified, Jonathan tried to reassure him. "You are his son, I'm sure he cares about you! It's just that he is not a - a very demonstrative man."  

Inside, he frowned. Whatever the reason for his Lordship's coolness, whether it was disappointment over Evelyn's poor health, or grief over the death of his wife, unlikely as that seemed given his recent behaviour, it was surely time to put it behind him.  

"Some men are not good with children," he offered. "Now you are growing up, maybe things will change."  

Jonathan saw the flash of hope light Evelyn's face, and made a promise to himself. He would take the bull by the horns and raise the issue with Lord D'Anvers the very next time he saw him. 

In the event, that turned out to be rather sooner than he expected. When Jonathan and Evelyn returned to their rooms that evening, Lord D'Anvers was there, making himself at home in the master bedroom.