Chapter Ten

That night, thunder woke Jonathan from a restless sleep. He lay awake, listening to the storm for a while then gradually his eyes closed. He was just drifting off when he heard the sound of a floorboard creaking. Someone was in his room! He sat up quickly, rubbing his eyes and saw a dark shadow coming towards him. 

"Jonathan! Are you awake?" he recognised D'Anvers' voice instantly, despite the harsh tones. 

"What's the matter?" He knew instinctively that this was no amorous visit. There was something wrong.  

"Fire! There's a fire on the top floor. Can you get Evelyn out? I'm going up to get Harry." Waiting only to be certain Jonathan had understood, his Lordship disappeared again. 

Now he could smell the smoke himself. A flash of lightning lit his room for a second. From somewhere in the house, someone started screaming.  

Fire! 

Evelyn! Jonathan threw back the covers and pulled on his trousers, cramming his feet straight into his boots. He pulled a blanket off the bed and flung the pitcher of water over it, then, holding it tightly bundled in his arms, he went out. Smoke filled the corridor, swirling into the room he had just left. Hastily he shut the door and strode towards Evelyn's room, his eyes squinting against the smoke. He couldn't see any flames but he knew smoke could be just as dangerous, he had to find Evelyn and get him out to safety. 

He fumbled for the door handle, it was hard to see anything at all now, but his groping hand found it and pushed the door open. "Evelyn!" he tried to shout but the smoke caught in his lungs and he coughed. Once again, he pulled the door shut behind him, trying to prevent the fire from spreading, and felt his way towards the single bed. Evelyn was sitting up, coughing. 

"It's me, Jonathan," he said, as he wrapped the damp blanket around the boy and picked him up in his arms. "We're getting out, put your arms around my neck and don't let go!" He opened the door again and pushed through the heat and smoke, making for the stairs as fast as he could, gripping Evelyn tightly, his left arm deliberately brushing along the wall to guide their way. He didn't have time to wonder how Lord D'Anvers thought he could possibly get up to Harry, all his effort was concentrated on getting himself and Evelyn outside. He closed his eyes to slits, he could see nothing in the smoke, but he couldn't bring himself to shut them completely, a primitive part of his brain insisted he had to face the enemy with open eyes. Red embers floated in the air, the top floor must be ablaze. He could only hope it wouldn't collapse on them. 

At last! His left arm felt the wall fall away to be replaced by a banister. Jonathan only just stopped himself from stumbling over the top stair as he felt his way downwards as fast as he could. The air was a little clearer by the time they reached the first floor, and he was able to move faster to get down the last staircase. 

He dashed out the front door, and carried Evelyn over to where the maids stood, huddled together. The male servants were already strung out in a line, carrying buckets of water from the well to throw on the house. He put Evelyn on his feet.  

"Are you alright?" 

Evelyn tried to speak and coughed. "C-cold." he stuttered. He was dressed in a thin nightshirt, the blanket still around his shoulders. 

The wet blanket which had been so helpful during the fire was now the worst thing he could be wearing. Jonathan took off his own jacket, the dark blue one he had snatched up to protect his back from the flames, and wrapped it round Evelyn instead. 

He gripped the housekeeper, Mrs Maitland by the arm to get her attention. "Is everyone out?" he asked urgently. "His Lordship?" He stared at the men fighting the fire but he couldn't see him. 

"He's still inside, Mr Winter." The woman looked as if she was about to burst into tears. 

Jonathan stared up at the building. Flames flickered inside the windows of the top floor, but it seemed to Jonathan that there was still time, the fire hadn't spread as far as he had feared. It appeared as if it was presently confined to the West Wing. 

Perhaps he could still get up there and help D'Anvers to bring Harry out. 

He took a deep breath, picked up the damp blanket to cover his upper body and turned to Mrs Maitland. "Look after Master Evelyn, will you? I'm going back in for his lordship."