Chapter 5 - Carnival Night

News about Chief Prosecutor Dan Edwards’s crimes began to circulate quickly throughout the media. Turns out Edwards had a hand in a few other “cover-ups.” Edwards would prosecute innocent people and get them a conviction, killing anyone willing to reveal the truth. He had a lot of influence on many people, so he was able to cover up his crimes easily. Hired thugs made the job easier, too.

The “Edwards Scandal” became the headlines for every newspaper. What’s more interesting are the stories covering the brilliant detective who solved the Edwards Scandal! Me! I’ve become somewhat of a celebrity! Some people have asked me for my autograph, while others have even asked me to help them find missing friends or even cheating boyfriends!

Mason called me downtown to chew me out the other day. Apparently people have been calling the police asking for the boy who solved the Edwards Scandal. “What? Carter doesn’t work with the police!” Mason would scream. “He’s just a wannabe detective!” Mason was so pissed that people were actually asking for me to do his job! He received so many calls like that that word spread around and I was granted my new title: Jett Carter, Wannabe Detective. I must admit, I’m not too happy about the name, but at least I have one! How many guys can say that? I’m famous!

* * *

“Don’t get such a big head, Jett!” Syrus warned me as he laughed. “Now that you’re famous you have to keep it up!”

“Keep it up? How do I do that?”

“How else?”

Syrus gave me one of his famous winks.

“Take on more cases! Piss off that big detective guy!”

“Mason? He happens to be my girlfriend’s father,” I explained.

Syrus raised his eyebrow.

“Oh? I’ve never met Rose’s father.”

Syrus started laughing again.

“Very funny, man. Rose isn’t my girlfriend.”

“Well she sure seems to think so!”

Syrus got up from the kitchen table and headed to the sink.

“She’s living with you and everything!”

Normally I would think Syrus was just jealous, but he started talking to this new girl the other day. He quickly forgot about Rose. I’m not sure if he lost interest or she just really didn’t want to be with anyone.

“She loves you, Jett!” Syrus said as he washed out his cereal bowl.

What if Syrus was right? Maybe Rose really did like me.

“Do you really think so?” I asked.

I got up to wash my bowl, too. Syrus laughed.

“It’s obvious, Jett.”

He turned towards me and smiled.

“And if I didn’t know any better, you still like her, too.”

“What?”

I shook my head.

“That’s crazy. I like Anne Marie.”

“You and Rose are awfully close. That’s why I stepped aside. I know when my best friend is in love!”

Stepped aside? I hardly call being rejected “stepping aside.”

“We’re just friends, Syrus.”

Syrus roared with laughter.

“Jett! A guy and a girl can’t be friends!”

“That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard you say.”