Chapter 2 - I didn't do it!

“You slept with Rose?!?!”

Syrus was practically screaming at me over the phone.I had to hold the phone a few inches away from my ear in order to prevent premature hearing loss.

“Syrus, it wasn’t like that at all!”I explained.

I’ve never heard Syrus get angry before.I didn’t think perfect people like him did.

I called Syrus Saturday morning in order to explain what had happened yesterday.I told him about everything…Rose, Roy’s murder, Violet’s crime, and my new temporary roommate.Syrus wasn’t too thrilled about it.

“I can’t believe you slept with my date.”

“Syrus, it wasn’t like that! We’ve been best friends since grade school.You think I would do something like that to you?”

Syrus went silent on the phone.

“That is true…”

I could hear Syrus smile over the phone.

“You don’t have the balls to do anything when it comes to women! Ha ha!”

I knew he was right, but he didn’t have to laugh at me for it.Sigh…just another thing I’ll let go.

“So let me get this straight.You ditched me at school to help out Rose with her boyfriend trouble?”

“Yeah.I didn’t mean to be long.It was crazy what happened.”

“How is Rose holdin up?”

I left Rose on the couch.I decided to make eggs and bacon for the two of us, but she wouldn’t eat.She wouldn’t even speak.She was taking this pretty hard.

“I’m not sure, Syrus.Rose won’t eat or speak to me.”

“Does this mean the date is off?”

Jerk.

“I don’t know. We didn’t talk about it.But don’t get your hopes up.”

Syrus paused for a moment.

“Well, you tell her to call me if she changes her mind.”

Does Syrus care about Rose’s well being at all?What’s wrong with this guy?

“Yeah, alright. Bye.”

I hung up with Syrus and went to check on Rose. She was still lying on the couch, crying.She didn’t touch her food at all.Again, I didn’t know what to do or say.Maybe I’ll just leave her alone for now.

I cleaned off my dish and headed to the bathroom to shower.The warm water felt really good against my skin.I wanted to wash away everything that happened.I wanted to wipe my mind clean.I wanted to submerge myself underwater until everything passed over, washed away completely.But I couldn’t do that.I had to face my problems.I had to face the real world.But above all, I had to help Rose.I wasn’t sure what she had left, but I knew she needed me.I had to help her in any way I could.

I reached for the shampoo.I couldn’t stop imagining the events that took place yesterday.It was like a flashback on constant replay.I tried to wash the memories away with the shampoo.I tried to wash away Roy Flounders.I tried to wash away the bullet in his head, the blood rushing down his face, and the blood that was stained on Rose’s chest.Blood that seeped deep into her heart.Blood that will never wash away.

Roy Flounders was dead.No, he was murdered.Roy Flounders was killed.Violet was a murderer.How could she do it? How could anyone do it? How can anyone take away a human life? Roy’s body would lay lifeless.Forever.Never to move again.And for what?What purpose did it serve?At what cost?Roy Flounders was dead.He died. He was killed.Murdered.Roy Flounders was dead.