Chapter Twenty Two : Happy endings...not anymore!

I'd be glad if you looked at the work of whoever I dedicated this chapter to.
Happy reading<3

PS. There's gonna be a massive storm of updates this month. Stay tuned.

Be sure we shall test you, with something of fear and hunger, some loss, In goods or lives or the fruits
(Of your toil), but give glad tidings to those, who patiently persevere. (2:155)

Chapter Twenty Two:
Happy endings...not anymore!

She was skin and bones, pale as a ghost, face masking the ordeal inside. She lay there still, her eyes sunken deep in their sockets, her lips were cracked and her heart was skipping slow beats. She was tired of fighting the malady that was eating her existence bits by bits.

She placed her cold hands on mine, trying to utter something but it felt so heavy to speak her heart out. A tear escaped her eyes and she started breathing in heavily. She was weak, her body was tired, yet she still had the courage to live a few more moments before the candle of her existence doused. 

"Forgive me," she stammered as her voice cracked in pain. Zara was dying,  she had developed a brain tumor and it was diagnosed late. She was struggling through her last stage and it was visible that she'd not last the week. She wore a small smile to hide the pain she was battling with.

"That's bygones. Don't worry, I will get you the best doctors."I assured squeezing her hands tightly.

"There's nothing that can be done now," a masculine voice spoke. It was Yahya. His eyes were swollen, perhaps he'd been crying for her. He stood there watching her fade day in day out helplessly. They had wronged me but wishing for them such a tragedy would be so inhumane. I had buried the hatchet longtime ago, I wished them an eternity of happiness yet, this was just more than a curse. I loved my best friend, despite what she had done. Seeing her plight, my heart crumpled.    

"Keep fighting, I am sure we will find a way to cure you," I said batting my eyelids uncontrollably to hide the tears that threatened to storm out of my eyes. She was fragile, she was dying, this shook me.

Her smile had faded, the beautiful hair that used to cascade behind her back was no where to be seen. She was bald.

"Guilt kept on eating me, the doctors preferred to call it brain tumor. I hope you find a place in your heart to forgive me. I wanted to atone for my sins and look at the irony, life's backed out. Tomorrow might not dawn on me, but I am sincerely sorry." She spoke clearly after removing the mask from her face.

I looked at her one more time and my eyes welled up with tears.

"Please don't speak, I have forgiven you truly and I have nothing against you. You are still my sister and my best friend. Nothing's changed. I promise!" I swore wiping my tears trying to give her a reassuring smile.

I couldn't see her condition worsening, I stormed out of the room, my breath heavy. It was sad. I never wished to see her this way, not even in my worst nightmares.

"I am sorry Jannat, maybe this is how we end. This for what we did to you. Maybe it had to be this way, you'd never understand how it feels to lose your loved one, you'd never know!" Yahya spoke with a cracking voice.