Episode 3: Separate Ways

M.A.I.D.S. [season 2] Episode 3 – Separate Ways

The fugitives made good time to the airport in Thessaloniki and boarded a plane bound for Mumbai by way of Istanbul without incident.  They made sure that their layover in Turkey was as brief as possible, just long enough to purchase new skinsuits and accessories before taking the next flight out.  Pandora was pleased to note that Sotiria selected its own outfit, a translucent red skinsuit accented in gold that made her ebony skin seem to glow.  Adam wasn't sure how he felt about the way Monroe's eyes lingered on his Synthia's Synthia, but he kept his peace.

Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport was pretty, if an airport could be pretty.  It blended art, architecture, and functionality into a structure that served its purpose well.  Adam, Monroe, Pandora, and Sotiria were all on their way quickly after getting off their aircraft.  They only had one bag to pick up--a special military bag of Adam's that concealed its contents from the airport's security scanners.  As soon as the group was safely in a taxi Adam and Monroe retrieved their pistols.  It was not uncommon to see travelers with a sidearm in the area, although Adam's heavy pistol was unusual.  Pandora and Sotiria, however, could not be armed without drawing suspicion.  The only things remaining in the bag were Pandora's rosy battle armor, her weapons, Adam and Monroe's larger weapons (assault rifles and shotgun), and Robobot.  Sotiria's pistol, however, was noticeably missing.

"The fuck, man," swore Monroe.

"How could it be gone?" asked Adam.

"We must have dropped it in Thessaloniki," Pandora said, trying to rationalize the situation.  "It is the only logical explanation."

"I do not have it," Sotiria volunteered.  "You are able to see through my skinsuit, and it is too large an object to hide in my--"

"Thank you," Adam said, cutting the Synthia off.  "It's gone now.  If the shit hits the fan, Sotiria, just stay behind Monroe.  We'll get you a new pistol later."

Problem solved.  The group rode quietly until they reached Delhi and were dropped off at the Ice Lounge, a restaurant.  Adam handed the bag to Pandora to carry when they got out of their taxi.  The decision had been made to get dropped off at a restaurant in Delhi.  Adam and Monroe would pretend to be dating, and the two Synthias were there to wait on them.  The "couple" interlaced fingers and looked around.  The streets were busy, but this was a popular restaurant for tourists to visit, so nobody paid much attention to Adam and Monroe.  After a few moments of cuddling and observing the scene, the two moved out, Synthias hot on their heels.

"Do you know where we're going?" Monroe asked Adam.

"Vaguely," Adam replied.

Monroe grunted in response.

"Sir," Pandora said, "This one suggests that Sir takes the Yellow Line to the University.  Walking will require more than four hours."  It was strange to hear Pandora speak like a mindless, common Synthia.

"See?" Adam said, winking at Monroe.  The group redirected itself in the manner that Pandora indicated.  It felt nice to hold Monroe's hand again, even if it was just to keep up appearances.  The relationship hadn't ended badly between the two of them, it had just...ended.  No closure, no further discussion.  One day they were a couple, and the next they weren't.  It had always bothered Adam, but it was more important to cultivate their friendship and their professional relationship.

The Yellow Line cut a four-plus-hour walk down to just over an hour, during which Adam and Monroe carried on like young lovers.  They gossiped and smooched and sighed, giving the outward appearance of a solid couple.  Pandora and Sotiria rode in a separate compartment reserved for the personal Synthias of the passengers, but they were all reunited within a short distance of the University.  This was their final destination in India, where they would meet Dr. Maury Judas and receive what aid the man could provide to them.