Chapter VII: 女人心是海底针 - A woman's heart is like a needle at the bottom of the sea

Disclaimer: I don't own Kuroko no Basket and Legend of Zhen Huan. I don't make money from writing this fanfiction. The story contains spoiler for both Kuroko no Basket and Legend of Zhen Huan and other palace dramas. There are quotes from manga, anime, wiki and other sources. Please read the author's note for explanation about the setting, place, history etc.

This story isn't betaed yet. You have been warned. If there's any of you who can help me edit this chapter, please tell me. Thank you.

In the Court of the Crimson King

Chapter VII: 女人心是海底针 - A woman's heart is like a needle at the bottom of the sea

A week had passed since Mayuzumi Chihiro fell into the pond. Thanks to the physician, she was alright now. To celebrate the happy news, Sakurai Ryuna and Furihata Kouka already arrived since morning at her residence.

"I do not think that His Imperial Majesty would impose such a terrifying punishment," Kouka said with a shudder of horror. "I think Moriyama will be sentenced to death by beheading."

"I think so too," said Ryuna. "When I heard the meaning of a meter of red, I thought I was going to pass out. It's better to die than to suffer like that. "

"That's what the punishment is," said Chihiro.

"What do you mean?"

"The punishment is meant to frighten people so that no one else would dare to commit a mistake."

At first, Chihiro also did not think that emperor Seijuurou would be that merciless to his own concubines. But after further thinking, she was certain that emperor Seijuurou had many wives simply because he had to have successor. They were nothing more than a means to an end. Therefore, he had no sentimental attachment to his own concubines. Of course, she did not dare tell anyone about this.

Life in the forbidden palace was really not a glamorous life as it seemed. Literally any mistakes could cost not just their own life but also the people they love. As for their status, history had proven that at one moment a concubine could be so loved, the next she was no better than dirt.

Ryuna nodded. "It's a pity Moriyama did not rat Haizaki out," she complained bitterly. "I know that Haizaki sent Moriyama to push you."

"We can't accuse her without a proof," Chihiro warned.

Ryuna snorted. "I hate her! It's better if she die."

"Shh!" Kouka hissed, "don't talk like that." She looked right and left, as if someone was eavesdropping.

"Since when you act like Chihiro?"

Kouka pursed her lips defensively. "Walls have ears. Our position is below Haizaki's position. Her father position is also higher than my father or your brother."

Chihiro understood why Ryuna hated Chihiro so much. But somehow she was certain that Haizaki was not involved. Chihiro watched her and Haizaki was genuinely surprised that Moriyama was the culprit. But Ryuna couldn't be dissuaded. Ever since she was a child, if Ryuna already believed in something, it was almost impossible to change her mind.

"Eunuch Reo arrived!" the eunuch who guarded the door shouted.

Chihiro, Ryuna Kouka looked at each other. What was eunuch Reo doing here?

Eunuch Reo stepped inside. "Greetings to First Class Female Attendant Ryuna, greetings to First Class Female Attendant Chihiro and greetings to Second Class Female Attendant Ryuna. Servant brings edict from His Imperial Majesty."