In Consequence - Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

Instinctively, he reached for her as he brought his mouth to hers, his fingers curling at either side of her waist to bring her closer as every nerve ending in his body thrilled to the feel of his lips upon hers. With a restraint borne of the hour and circumstance, their lips moved in silent communion. No morning greeting had ever been so sweet, and his heart surged with a desperate longing for the time when such a greeting, and more, might be his every morning.

Reluctantly, they withdrew from the pleasurable contact after a few moments, marveling at the profound emotions evoked by this simple intimacy.

Wordlessly, Mr. Thornton pulled the folded list from inside his frock coat and handed it to her.

"Thank you," she breathed, opening the paper to glance at the scrawled names filling several pages.

"My mother asks if two o'clock will be a convenient time for your mother," he related officially, his gaze inevitably drawn to the soft, full lips that had moments before had been pressed to his.

"Yes, of course. Two o'clock will be fine," she answered, mesmerized by the soothing sound of his deep-toned voice and his very nearness.

"Then I will take my leave so that I may attend other matters of importance," he responded, his lips curving into a smirk.

She smiled at his teasing remark to her earlier impertinence. "I will see you tonight?" she asked somewhat impatiently.

"Yes," he answered, returning her smile. His heart warmed to discern her eagerness.

He lifted her hand to his lips, not trusting himself to bring his mouth to hers, and placed a lingering kiss upon her fingers, right next to the gleaming ring which proclaimed his claim to her heart.

"Until then," he softly declared, giving her one last penetrating look before he forced himself to turn toward the door.

Margaret stood dazedly a moment, staring at the space he had just vacated. Her heart beat fervently in her breast as she moved her gaze to her hand. She still felt the warmth of his breath and the brush of his lips on her fingers, astounded at the power he had to waken sensations in her she had never felt before. Every fiber of her being longed to feel his touch again, to be pressed against him so that she might feel needed and secure.

She knew her thoughts would dwell upon him the rest of the day.

*****

At the precise hour prescribed, a small carriage arrived at the Hale's home that afternoon. Mrs. Thornton was ushered into the drawing-room, where Mrs. Hale greeted her enthusiastically.

"How very good of you to come. I'm certain you will be an immense help. I could not conceive of arranging such an affair without your assistance," the frailer woman insisted while Margaret politely nodded in agreement.

Hannah Thornton gave a warming smile, pleased to be regarded as an integral figure in the planning of her son's grand social event. "It will be my pleasure to offer whatever assistance you require," she replied, taking the seat designated for her.