Rapunzel - Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

    "Hey.. " I was stopped from eating my chocolate mousse royal and pralines n' cream when Zero called. Jasmine is currently busy indulging in her strawberry flavored ice cream.

     "Hmm?" I faced him trying to ask what he wants.

     "I'm sorry... about last time." Sorry? Why is he sorry?

     "Why? What for?" I asked, confused.

     "I'm sorry for the way I acted. I was rude. I should've acknowledged your presence the least." Hmmm. I tried to recall in my mind what happened that day. I don't think he was rude. We were strangers then.

     "It's okay. I don't mind. I did the same thing anyway." There's really nothing to be sorry for.

     "Still, I'm sorry." then he smiled. His smile is so bright it's almost dazzling.

     "Well, I haven't formally introduced myself yet. I'm Zero Kristoffer André Salazar." He said sounding so proud with his long name.

     "I'm Tasharhea Suzein Anderson" I continued devouring my ice cream as I didn't notice that I've been staring at him since earlier.

     "Nice meeting you Miss Tasharhea Suzein Anderson." He handed me his hand, this time I accepted it on my will.

We finished our ice creams and headed out. Zero paid for us which I didn't refuse. We walked back to the park without talking. I mean, I didn't.  Jasmine and Zero were both talking about something but I didn't understand anything so I paid no attention to it. We said goodbyes when we reached the park and I started walking back home right after. It was a good day, I think.

I spent the next couple of my days going out. What better use of my time there is than to study my targets. One of the best ways to a successful business is to satisfy the clients. I started observing the behavior of every people I see. I am currently at a nearby plaza outside the subdivision. My neighborhood is actually pretty great. Just a few minutes walk outside the subdivision, the great Imperial University is firmly standing with its mighty gates facing the road. From there, the plaza is about 15 minutes walk.

"Just walk away. Don't make any excuses you don't even mean." I overheard a guy talking to his girl companion. I watch as the guy stare at the girl as if his waiting for her to go. His eyes are so fierce I can feel his gaze burning.  The girl is staring back at him but I can't tell what's on her mind.

"I'm sorry." she said and turned her back on him. She starts walking away from the guy while he watch her slowly widen their distance without even turning her back again.

I can see it. I can feel it. It's there. I can see his pain.  Its not evident but I'm sure. I can feel that its there. Yet somehow, I don't understand why. Why is he in pain? What does it mean to be in pain?

       I started walking back home when I decided to take a detour. The children's playground is at the far back from the gates of my subdivision which I don't need to pass through if I go home but this time, for some reason, my feet started walking down the playground's path.

      "Ate Tasha!" I heard a little girl's voice called my name. I turned around I saw Jasmine with Zero walking towards me. I made no efforts to go to them but waited for them to come to me.

      "Hello ate Tasha!" Jasmine said as she waved her hand when they got to me.

"Hello." I said back.

"Ate Tasha, bakit po ngayon ka lang  bumalik dito? Halos araw-araw po andito si kuya Zero hinihintay ka." (Ate Tasha, why did you come back just now? Zero comes here everyday waiting for you.) Jasmine said while giggling. Zero smiled when I faced him. He looked really shy like he didn't know his sister would say such thing.

"Yeah? Why?" Confused, I asked. I tried running a few possible reasons in my mind as to why would Zero wait for me? Did I do something wrong?

"I wasn't waiting for you. Jasmine was just kidding. But I'm glad I ran in to you." he said still flashing me his bright smile while he rubs the back of his head through his nape.

Jasmine was called by her friend so she ran towards them. I saw Jacob, Kristine, Troy, and the others with her. I watch them play tag and Jacob can't outran any of them which drove him mad.

"Are you...on your way home already?" Zero asked which brought me back to his attention.

"Yes." I briefly answered. I noticed how he dropped his smile for a second and gave me a new smile which is a bit kind of sad. "I mean no, I went here to hangout for a while." I don't know why I said that. I don't know why I lied.  Zero smiled brightly again and somehow that gave me ease.

We're sitting on the swing while we watch the kids play. "I guess I'll see you more of you at the univ?" He said. I faced him but he's still watching the kids. "You're studying at the Imperial University, right?" he glanced at me for a second giving me a smile and turned to watch the kid again.

"How did you know?" I asked. I never told. I didn't even know he's also studying there.

"I just guessed. Almost everyone around here studies at the Imperial. Unless you didn't get in?" now he's totally facing me. I can see he's curious.

"Hmm." I guess that was easy to guess. "Yes." I told him.  "But isn't the school huge? How will you see me there?" I continued. I've never been inside yet but I've seen the brochures and it was really impressive.

"I'll find you." he said and smiled while he turned away again to face the kids.