Chapter 8

Sean drove me back home after our heart-to-heart in the cave and we agree that this Friday would be our date. He refused to tell me anything else.

"Don't worry," he insisted. "I have a plan." He threw a wink my way as I climbed out of his truck, then drove off with music blasting. My lip curled into a smile. I had a date; an actual date.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was just a test run to get Sean off my back. Yes, it was an actual date, but it was more for his benefit than mine. After actually going out, he will see that I'm not as easy and convincible as the other girls he usually goes for. It'll take more than a wink and a few flirtatious words to prove to me that he's not what everyone says he is.

When I walked into my house, I sat my surfboard in the closet and took a seat at the island while my mother cooked dinner. It smelled like parmesan chicken which made my stomach growl.

"How was work," I asked as my mother sautéed asparagus. The sizzling sound echoed through the house and I'm sure my dad would be down at any moment to hover as I was.

"It was good. Just another typical day in the office," she shrugged as she continued to poke and prod at the asparagus. "How was school? Get into any more trouble?" The corners of her lip teased into a smirk as she shot a playful glance in my direction.

"Very funny," I rolled my eyes. "Actually, I was wondering if you could help me connect some dots."

My mother's ears perked up and she slid the asparagus off the stove and onto a plate. The kitchen was much quieter now and my mother seemed like she was getting more focused. The chicken still had a few minutes to cook, but it was not as loud as the veggies.

"Alright, try me," she said, leaning against the island with her apron on crooked.

"Do you know Sean Parker?" I asked.

My mother's face went from playful to serious in a matter of seconds. Not just serious, but...dark. The look startled me. I was not expecting this kind of reaction.

"Why?" she asked, her tone suspicious and cold.

"I—" I began, but was interrupted by my dad coming down the stairs.

"Dinner ready yet, sweetie?" he asked, wrapping an arm comfortably around my mother's waist. He seemed calm until he read my mother's expression. I could tell she tried to soften it when my dad showed up, but she didn't do a very good job of it.

"What's going on?" My dad asked, looking back and forth between me and my mother.

"Nothing," My mom responded, bouncing back to the stove. "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes."

My father glanced one more time between us before kissing my mom on the cheek and going back upstairs.

My mind was racing. What was wrong? Why did my mother react like that? My cheeks were hot as I stared at my mother, expecting her to turn back around and explain what her reaction was about, but instead, she just continued to cook, facing away from me the entire time.

"Mom?" I asked after an excruciatingly long silence.

She dropped the chicken onto some plates and turned around to look me in the eyes. Her lips were situated in a straight line and her brows were furrowed. I thought for a moment that I was going to get yelled at, but then she spoke.

"Please don't tell me you're hanging out with Sean Parker," my mother said, her voice maintaining a calm demeanor, but her words were heavy. My heart sank. My parents weren't people who were judgmental about who I hung out with. They were very welcoming people most of the time. Why was Sean such a big deal?