Chapter 11

Winnie sat on the hard bench, legs crossed, messing with her thumbnail. "Can I help you?" someone asked, startling her. She sat up straight and folded her hands neatly in her lap; instinct for when she spoke to a stranger.

"I'm waiting for Miles," she explained.

"You got a name that a commoner such as me could pronounce?"

"Winnie."

"Short for Gwenivere Elizabeth the Eighth?"

"Short for Winifred... Winifred." Her smile wavered.

"Winifred Winifred? No wonder you go by Winnie."

"No, no my name isn't-"

"So Miss Winifred, what business does a lady such as yourself have with Miles Tuck?"

"I've known his family for a while. I'm waiting for him to come back."

"Well then, I'll wait with you. If you don't mind."

"No, not at all."

"The name's John Tare."

"Nice to meet you."

"You come from around here?"

"No, but the Tucks are old friends of mine. You?"

"Born and raised. You don't usually move into an old town like this. Unless you're the Tucks. We haven't had new people here in a long time. When they first arrived, people were trippin' over each other to make an offer cheaper than the last. Good for them, I suppose. Miles told me they didn't have much to begin with; that's why he had to stay with them instead of going and gettin' his own family. Something about having to leave their old place real quick. I suppose that's how you know them?" She nodded, peering over him through the window. From what she could see, there was still no sign of Miles or Jesse. She didn't know whether or not to say anything else. Her mother usually scolded her when she spoke out of turn and warned that others would do the same. Were these people like that? Was anyone like that?

"They're good, honest people," John continued, "but real quiet. Almost never come into town, 'cept the boys for their jobs. Those two are young, but I swear, from the look that Miles has in his eye every day when he comes in here, you'd think he had grandkids. His brother isn't much different, but there's a whole 'nother level to him."

"Strange," she muttered.

"But I don't know. Maybe you know something I don't."

"There's not much to know about them."

The little bell over the door jingled, and Jesse stepped in. He laid eyes on Winnie and let out a sigh. "There you are," he beamed.

"I told you she was in there," Miles grunted, pushing Jesse inside, so he could follow. "Don't know where she would have gone. She was jumpy already when I found her."

"You know it would have been worse if I had brought her in with me." He walked over to the bench and sat down next to her. John stood up like a bolt and walked over to Miles.

"That girl-" John started.

"Winnie," Miles added.

"Yeah, I knew that. They're why you didn't take the day off I offered?"

"Yup."

"Interesting. So, Miles, explain to me-"

"You know John, I should probably just show them what I've got so far. I need to see what to fix."

"Yes, good idea." Miles cocked an eyebrow at his boss. John gestured to the back room. Miles nodded slowly and walked away.

John turned his attention to eavesdropping on Winnie and Jesse's conversation. He had only just met Winnie, and she seemed like a good person. However, he hadn't only just met Jesse Tuck. When he first met the kid after Miles invited him over for dinner, it had only been about a month since they moved. He had to only be about 16. His mother had to drag him out of his room. He kept complaining that he wanted to be alone. His father and Miles tried to distract John from the commotion by saying that Jesse wasn't exactly keen on moving away. John heard a distinct yell of, "You can't stay in there forever!" Miles and his father had heard this and immediately tried to pull John into the dining room, and he noticed them flinch when the boy's response came, "I can, and I will!" John didn't understand why they were playing it off so much. The kid was only a teenager. When his mother had finally wrestled him down into a seat at the dinner table, John was introduced to Jesse Tuck.

Their paths didn't cross often. He must have gotten a job somewhere in town, as he would walk to the square with Miles every morning. From what John knew, he wasn't a happy fellow. But, looking at him now, he seemed to be a completely different person. The polar opposite of what he used to be. He thought about what Winnie had said. She knew the Tucks where they lived before. Jesse didn't want to move away...

"Alright you two, come over here," Miles said, appearing once again. His hands were heavily gloved, and he was holding an old metal tray. On the tray sat two rings, still glowing with heat. The three in the room gathered to gaze at the morning's work. They seemed identical in size and appearance. Winnie let out an audible sigh when she saw how simple they were. Miles glanced up at John every few seconds, as if he was waiting for John to do something. John was still trying to piece together all of Jesse's actions to make some sense out of them. Jesse was staring at the rings, but he was thinking solely about the way that Winnie's hand felt in his. Winnie was looking from person to person, willing for one of them to say something. After another long minute, she gave up.

"Don't you think it's a bit big?" she asked Miles, pointing at one of the rings.

"And that is why I needed you guys here," he explained, seeming relieved to be out of the silence. "I need to see what adjustments I need to make before they cool. In fact... John, can you go get me those tiny pliers you use to shape those hooks you make? I think I saw them on your desk earlier."

"Sure thing," John said quickly, scurrying to the back room. The second he was out of sight, Miles took off the gloves and stretched out his fingers.

"Okay," he whispered, "try these on now so I can see what I need to change."

"What about the guy?" Jesse hissed. "surely it won't take him long to find something in his own shop." Miles smirked and held up a particularly small pair of pliers.

"His desk is an absolute mess. It takes him a while to find anything. Come on, put them on now, so I can get a good look at them." Jesse shrugged and dropped Winnie's hand.

"Wait, you expect me to touch a piece of glowing metal?" Winnie questioned. "Are you insane?"

"It won't hurt you," Miles reassured her. "Jesse, you show her. Put yours on." Jesse reached for one of the rings.

"If it won't hurt, why do you wear gloves?" Winnie asked.

"John. I could do all of my work bare handed if I wanted to. In fact, that would be much easier now I think about it."

"Well, what do you think?" Jesse asked, showing off his left hand.

"It really doesn't hurt?"

"Not a bit. You'll be fine, Winnie."

"How does it fit?" Miles urged.

"It's fine."

"Which means yours is gonna be giant. Please just put it on?"

"Fine." She stared at the ring on the tray, building up her confidence. She stuck out a finger and gingerly poked it, them immediately flinched back.

"What is it?" Jesse asked urgently. He stared at Miles. "That shouldn't hurt her. It couldn't! Could it?"

"I don't know, you were the one with her when she drank the water!"

"I'm fine!" she cut in. "It just felt really weird. Even from that one second. It was just really... tingly."

"I didn't feel anything when put on mine. Just... nothing." Miles picked up Winnie's ring.

"Yeah, I don't feel anything either."

"You feel up to trying again?"

She nodded and held out her hand for the ring. Miles placed it her palm, and she took in a sharp breath. "It's like my arm fell asleep," she commented. She looked at them and noticed their blank stares. "Seriously? Is your foot falling asleep so dangerous to your health that that was added to the immortality list?" She sighed and slipped the ring on her finger. As expected, it was enormous. Miles looked at it from different angles, muttered to himself and snatched it back.

"Okay," he said. "I'll bring 'em home tonight."