Chapter 10

"We should go into town tomorrow with Miles," Jesse suggested, glancing over at her. He hadn't even bothered entering his room. He just walked into Winnie's room and climbed into bed. She didn't object; she joined him without a word. "It isn't anything special," he continued. "But it's nice. And I have to quit my job, if I'm not fired by now. We won't be here much longer."

"Okay," she whispered. He sat up, placed a kiss on her forehead and laid back down.

"Goodnight," he said.

"Goodnight," she repeated, closing her eyes and letting the sensation from the kiss run through her veins. It was a calming feeling, and it brought her to sleep.

"So, slight change of plans," he said, waking her up.

"Huh?" she murmured, squinting up at him.

"It's 10 already. Miles left at about seven. Do you want to stay here while I fix up everything there? I'd be back in about an hour."

"No, I want to come," she muttered. "Just give me a minute to wake up."

"Ma's got food downstairs. I'm gonna eat."

"Mmkay. I'll be down in a minute."

Once he left, she got herself out of bed and dragged around, putting on a fresh dress. The dresses she had already worn were in a pile by her bag. It took her all of three minutes to comb out her hair, as she had always been a late sleeper and would sometimes have only three minutes to completely get herself ready for a formal event.

She couldn't eat as quickly as she could comb her hair, but she counted Jesse shoveling his down like a ravenous bear as a distraction. Then, when he finished, he stared at her apprehensively, waiting for her to set down her fork. When she did, she took an obnoxiously long time wiping her mouth with her sleeve.

He sprinted through the living room to the front door, Winnie being towed along. Mae yelled something, but he yelled a, "I know, Ma!" and continued.

"Jesse!" Winnie panted. "Can we slow down?"

He stopped in a flash and looked back. "Sorry," he muttered. "I... Sorry."

"Come on, don't you want to get going?" He looked up at her, the tips of his cheeks and ears still pink. "I want to see this place you're bragging about." She stepped on the top porch stair and listened to the creak. She thought of the old rowboat, and how she had stomped around to fool herself into thinking she was confident. She jumped the last two stairs.

"Is that the best you've got?" he challenged, leaping all three.

"You think you can beat me, old man?"

His jaw dropped. "Okay, you're on. I'll race you to the road."

"Go!"

They ran towards the edge of the property, Jesse always slightly ahead of Winnie. She took a deep breath and plowed past him right at the end. They burst onto the street, doubling over and gasping for air. She straightened up triumphantly.

"Ha!" she cried. "I-" she coughed for a minute. "I won!"

"You did not!"

"Yes I did! Just admit you lost."

"Fine. But only because it's you."

"I appreciate it." She slipped her hand into his. "Which way?"

The town was indeed very small. It seemed to only be a square with a single paved road branching off. The people were clumped together in small groups, leaving it easy to make a path to all of the small shops.

"The place is down the road," he said as they stepped onto the stone floor of the square. "You should stay here and look around. I won't be a minute."

"Oh, okay," she mumbled, making strange eye contact with some of the townspeople.

"You'll be fine. None of these people ever talk to anyone." He leaned over and kissed her temple, but she was still obviously anxious. "Winnie..."

"Why can't I come with you?"

"Because the people there aren't as antisocial. Just don't look like you don't belong."

"Jesse?"

"I'm kidding. Give me two minutes."

"Okay."

He dashed off, and she crossed her arms across her stomach. She took a few tentative steps forward. People were peering over their shoulders at her. Something touched her shoulder, and she jumped.

"Hey Winnie," Miles said carefully. "You okay?"

She let out a breath and tried to get her heart to slow. "You scared me," she said, her voice shaking.

"No kidding. Where's Jesse?"

She waved her shaking hand to the road leading off. "Quitting."

"Come with me. I needed to see you two anyway." She followed him to a stone, squat building. Inside it was boiling, seemingly hotter than under the burning sun. The air was heavy. "You can have a seat there," Miles said, gesturing to a bench against the wall. "I have to catch Jesse before he frets about not being able to see you."

AN: I cut this short because I feel bad about not working on it in forever. Let's think. Since I last posted something, I came out as bi, I developed a crush on a demi girl, and I listened to, like, 20 new musicals.