Chapter 17

San Francisco, California, Memories

When they woke up the next morning, Lauren had a hangover and Camila was still groggy. Every bit of them hurt from sleeping on the lumpy couch.

"Goddamn it..." Lauren groaned as she sat up.

"Morning girls." Alexa said, walking by. Erica followed, dressed in nothing but boxers and an oversized t-shirt. She also wore a smug look as she passed by the two girls, clearly still tangled in each other's embrace. She raised her eyebrow in a way that signified she knew just what kind of friends they really were.

"Sleep well?" She asked saucily. Lauren responded with another groan and she buried her face into Camila's back. Camila smiled sleepily and nodded. "Well, you girls are welcome to have breakfast with us. Just be careful, I'm a horrible cook." She winked at the two of them and went into the kitchen. Lauren looked over at Camila who looked back and the two of them burst into giggles.

"Subtle, Cami." Lauren whispered, giving her a quick peck on the lips.

"No making out on my couch." Aelxa called out from the kitchen. The two of them burst into a fit of laughter, causing Camila to fall off. Lauren rolled down on top of her and Erica walked in.

"Ah, to be young again." She sighed. Alexa walked over and shook her head.

"Or my floor." She added. Lauren got up first, helping Camila to her feet. They sat down next to each other, only letting go of each other's hands when they started eating. After breakfast, Erica and Alexa drove them back to the hostel.

"You come back now, you hear? I really could use you!" Alexa shouted as they drove away. Lauren waved at the two of them. They were an odd pair and Lauren wasn't sure why she suddenly became okay with them overnight. But when Camila kissed her right behind her ear, everything in the world made sense.

"They're cute." Lauren said.

"Yeah, they are."

"Psh, whatever. They're not as cute as us." Lauren sneered. Camila beamed at her. This was entirely her doing. This entire "Lauren is secretly a softie" was all the work of the girl standing next to her. And really, Lauren didn't mind it.

"Alright, let's go before I turn normal." Lauren huffed and the two of them checked out of the hostel and continued towards their destination.

They reached the southern tip of California later that day. Camila was so excited when she saw the sign for the state. They got out of the car so that Camila could run out into the water, beckoning Lauren to join her. Lauren looked around and noticed that there were no people on the beach. Obviously, Camila did too as she whipped off her shirt and slipped out of her skirt.

"Camz!" Lauren exclaimed, glancing back at the road. Camila laughed, jumping right into the ocean.

"Oh, it's cold!" Camila said, hopping right back out. "Lolo! Come keep me warm!" Lauren walked over to the water and let the waves lap at her sandals. Camila rushed over and before Lauren could run, gave her a big hug. Lauren sputtered and tried to break free.

"You'll get me wet!" Lauren exclaimed. Camila answered with an open mouth kiss and Lauren could taste the ocean on her lips and tongue. She brought her hands up to tangle in Camila's soaked hair. Camila broke the kiss and searched her eyes. Her hands wandered down to the hem of Lauren's shirt and began tugging it up. Lauren caught her hands. "What are you doing?" She hissed.

"Shh..." Camila said, kissing her again. Lauren didn't relax but she removed her hands and let Camila take her shirt off. Camila paused and gazed into Lauren's scared green eyes. Lauren stared right back. Camila's were full of confidence and security but it made Lauren feel so small in comparison. The younger girl's hands trailed down Lauren's body along her stomach and rested on Lauren's shorts. Her fingers brushed the buttons and began undoing them one by one. Camila didn't break eye contact. Lauren went to glance behind her to see if anyone was looking but Camila seized the sides of her face and pulled her back.