Chapter Three: Attacked

A few days had passed and both the campers and the counselors had fallen into their daily routines. Adelyn, Ashlee, and Nicos hardly saw each other around camp. The only time they had to talk was during dining hours. None of them minded much. By the end of the day they were too exhausted to care that they didn’t hear the latest gossip.

Adelyn shifted her bag onto her other shoulder. Her feet slapped against the boardwalk as she approached the large, white lifeguard chair. She loved being assigned to lifeguard duty. It was one of the easiest jobs. As a bonus she got a great tan by the end of the summer. However, as she came up to the chair she saw that Christian was teaching swim lessons today.

“Hey,” he said, not looking at her directly. His back was turned toward her while he watched the campers coming down the dock for their swim lessons.

“Hi,” Adelyn replied, climbing up into the chair. She tried very hard not to stare at Christian’s sculpted body. She supposed his annoying attitude was God’s way of making him less perfect.

Christian chuckled under his breath and turned toward Adelyn. “You’re not so unattractive yourself,” he said.

Adelyn’s eyes grew wide. How could he had possibly known she was looking at him? “Why don’t you just do your job and I’ll do mine?” She muttered, pushing her sunglasses over her eyes.

“Speaking of jobs, how long have you been a counselor here?” Christian questioned.

Adelyn was taken aback by his seemingly benign inquiry. “Ever since I was allowed. It’s a family tradition.”

Christian nodded thoughtfully and looked back to his students, who had gathered around the ladder. “Alright, don’t just stand there. Get in the water and let me see your strokes.” Some children hurried down the ladder while others jumped right into the water.

Turning to Adelyn Christian asked, “but when did you start banging the counselors?”

Adelyn’s face fell into a mixture of shock and horror. “Who told you that?”

“I knew the guy,” Christian lied coolly, but Adelyn didn’t believe it.

Adelyn leaned toward Christian, scowling. “Listen, I don’t know what your problem with me is, but if you don’t like me why don’t you just leave me alone?”

Christian rolled his eyes, “I was only asking a question, you don’t have to get so defensive.”

“Yes I do!” Adelyn shouted. She hushed herself as the kids began to stare. “I don’t know who is telling you all this stuff about me, but you better tell them to stop.”

“Or what? You’ll sleep with my crush of like, forever?” Christian asked, mocking Ashlee’s voice.

Adelyn threw herself back into the chair. “You’re an ass,” she grumbled, crossing her legs.

“And you’re a whore, looks like we’re even.”

 Adelyn grinded her teeth. “Why are you even here? Obviously you’re not here for the kids.”

Christian rolled his eyes and replied, “Maybe I was sent here to keep people from making mistakes.”

“That’s retarded,” Adelyn snapped, not sure what else to say.

****

Adelyn turned and scanned the crowded dining high, looking for Nicos and Ashlee. She saw them sitting in one of the back booths, their heads bent close together. Adelyn weaved through the kids as she went to join them.

“Hey, Addy,” Nicos said, raising his head and dropping Ashlee’s hand.

“Hey guys,” Adelyn replied, giving the pair a funny look. Nicos gave her a sly smile, but as usual Ashlee was oblivious to what was going on. She was too busy running her hand against Nicos’ thigh.