Camp North

Prologue

Purple and white caps filled the stifling June afternoon air as the graduating class of 2013 cheered. Tears, laughter, and shouts of joy could be heard among the cacophony of sounds. Adelyn North clasped her best friend’s, Ashlee Thatcher, wrist as they wound their way through the hugging bodies.

“We did it,” Ashlee giggled, pausing to wrap her arms around Adelyn. “We graduated,”

Adelyn rolled her pale green eyes and giggled along with her friend. “Just barely,” she shouted over the herd of football boys that rushed past.

“Oh please, you’re valedictorian!” Ashlee reminded her, as if she could forget that amazing speech she just delivered?

The two girls made it to the back of the throng of people. Adelyn and Ashlee spotted their parent’s, chatting and congratulating each other. Adelyn gave her father a big hug before hugging Ashlee’s parents.

“My little girl is all grown up,” Peter North teased Adelyn, tugging on a piece of her honey blonde hair.

“Oh Daddy,” she sighed, squeezing his hand. They exchanged another hug and then turned to the Thatcher family.

“Are you girls sure you don’t want to go to the after party?” Mr. Thatcher asked, his bright blue eyes still glistening with tears. Ashlee shifted her identical eyes to the ground, not wanting anyone to see that she was crying too.

“We’re sure,” Adelyn nodded. “I want to get a good night’s sleep before the camper’s come tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Ashlee agreed, bobbing her head. Her white blonde curls bounced against her shoulders, catching the rays of the sun.

Mrs. Thatcher wrung her hands and blubbered, “I feel like you’re leaving us already.”

Ashlee and Adelyn gave her a big group hug and patted her shoulders reassuringly.

“Mom, I’m not leaving for good! I’ll be back on August 15th.” Ashlee assured her mother.

Peter put his hands on the two girls’ shoulders. “They will be fine. Xavier, Reese, and I will keep them in order. Besides, this isn’t there first time counseling at the camp.”

“I know, I know.” Mrs. Thatcher whimpered, “I’m just so worried.”

Ashlee threw her arms around her mother’s neck. “I’ll be back before you know it, I promise!”