Chapter Ten

You're in trouble

You're in trouble. He texted me later that night. I glanced down at my phone, confused. Another text came through. I have a hickey.

I smiled, and texted him back, wondering why I felt such pleasure at the thought. I shot off a text in response. Just something to remember me by.

As if I could forget, he replied.

"Who are you texting?" Bella asked, peeking over my shoulder.

I realized I'd been grinning at my phone like an idiot. "Kane," I told her, still smiling.

"How is Mr. Hot Stuff?" she asked, putting away her scissors. She'd just finished trimming my hair for me. I hadn't thought Mom would agree when I told her I was spending the night at Bella's, but I think the temptation of sleeping in a real bed for once was too much for her. She'd been on that horrid couch for two weeks now, and I knew she'd rest better sleeping in my bed tonight.

"He's working," I told her. "He's always working." His bike was hardly ever parked at the apartment complex.

"It's not a bad thing. Not really. One of the reasons my parents got divorced was because my dad was never working," Bella told me, jumping onto her bed. She sat up a little, propping herself up on an elbow. "But I guess you want to spend more time with your boyfriend, huh?" 

"He's not my boyfriend," I said, swiveling round in her chair to face her. "We've only just had our first date."

Bella stayed quiet, twisting her hands round her black comforter. Practically everything in her room was black, including her walls. "Finn asked me to be his girlfriend," Bella admitted.

"He did? When?" I asked, my mouth falling open.

"On our date." She sighed, falling back against her bed. "We had an amazing time. He said... some really lovely things. He told me he'd had a crush on me for years, and he admired me for following my own style. He doesn't want to just date. He wants us to be together officially."

"Wow," I said, taking it all in. "What did you say?"

"I told him that we should have at least three more dates before we decided anything," Bella said, sounding practical for once. She rolled over to face me. "He was really disappointed... do you think maybe I should have just said yes?"

"Do you like him?"

"I do, but... what's the point? We're graduating and going to college next year. I want to go to California. He's still a junior, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It wouldn't work, and I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but then if I don't think ahead, I run the possibility of getting hurt later on." She shrugged helplessly.

I stared at her. Wow. She really did like him. I couldn't believe how much thought she'd given it all.

"Give it three dates like you said, and then see how you feel. Don't overthink it," I advised, glancing down when my phone vibrated again.