Chapter Nine

We somehow ended up in his apartment, on his couch, having the hottest, most intense make-out session of my life

We somehow ended up in his apartment, on his couch, having the hottest, most intense make-out session of my life. His kisses had my pulse racing, and set my body on fire. When his tongue slipped into my mouth, my knees went weak. I couldn't get enough of him. I couldn't stop touching him. My hands moved under his shirt, feeling the hard panes of his stomach. I wanted... I wanted more. I couldn't get close enough.

We made-out for ages, the kisses and small touches growing in intensity. When I moved to his neck, kissing and nibbling at his skin, he groaned. His hand tightened on my back. I was so lost in him and the waves of heat in my body, it took a while for me to register the sound of his phone ringing. I paused, but his lips moved back to mine, ignoring the call. The ringing stopped after a few seconds, and I fell back into his kiss. When it started up a again, he groaned - the sound filled with frustration rather than pleasure this time.

"It's okay, answer it," I said, moving back. I was panting slightly.

His eyes were heated, and dazed. They seemed to move all over my face, tracing every feature, and warming me inside and out. His lips quirked for a second as he took in the flush working its way across my cheeks, before he shifted and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. He exhaled a little shakily before he answered his phone.

"Hello... yeah?" He listened, while I tried to get my breathing back to normal. I glanced around, curious. His apartment was the same size as ours, but had painted walls, new floors, and stylish black furniture. In other words, it was the complete opposite of ours. "Okay. What time? And where?" After a moment, he said goodbye, and hung up with a sigh.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Something's come up, and my uncle needs his car back." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm really regretting borrowing that thing now."

I glanced at the time. It was after ten - not too late - but Mom would be expecting me back now. "I should get going anyway."

He got up reluctantly, and kissed me again. "I'm sorry. I'll be working for most of this weekend, but I want to see you on Monday."

It seemed like forever away, but I agreed, "okay."

Resting his forehead against mine, he murmured, "it feels too long away."

I smiled, pecking his lips one final time, before I slipped out of the door. He leaned against his doorframe, watching as I entered my apartment. I blew him a kiss - making him smile - just before I shut the front door behind me.

I braced myself before I turned around, expecting half a dozen questions from Mom. But, she was fast asleep on the couch. Still fully dressed in the green dress and black blazer she'd worn to work that day, she had collapsed at an awkward angle on the sofa. A folder lay open on her lap, and several files and sheets were scattered around on the coffee table. She'd been bringing a lot of work home with her, working entirely too hard in my opinion. I could see now that it was taking a toll.