The Undead [Chap. 2]

*Two months later*

“Alright,” I said, sitting down at the desk in the meeting room at the headquarters. There were five others in there, including my boss. “What do you guys want?”

Today, it was my day off. I didn’t have to actually hunt any of those creatures today, but if I saw one, obviously I’d be required to kill it and take it back here. They had called me today, so they need something, probably something that is going to be… Well, I don’t really know. These guys are full of surprises.

“You’re being assigned to a new place,” the vice president said.

“Where at?” I asked curiously. A new assignment? Sounds interesting. I grinned slightly at the thought of going someplace gorgeous.

“Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,” he replied.

Any grin I had moments ago, fell. “Are you kidding me? That place is horrible.”

“I’m sure there are some okay parts in that city,” he countered.

“Yeah? Am I going to be in one of those good parts?” I asked, putting air quotes around the word ‘good’.

“No.”

Figures. “Why? That place is just full of drug dealers and they’re probably in urban warfare. I don’t want to get caught up in any of that.”

“You fight and kill these horrible creatures that are so much stronger than you, and you’re afraid of a little urban warfare and drugs?” he asked, a tone to his voice that clearly said I’d be a coward to not do this, and I’d probably get fired.

I’ll have to deal with those creatures, too. They like to be in populated areas, and with all the crime that happens in Rio, I highly doubt anyone there would notice if someone went missing because of one of those creatures. A perfect place for those things to hide.

I sighed. “Fine.”

He gave me a tight smile that was probably forced, and handed over a folder. “This has a bunch of necessary information that will help you with this assignment. It tells you where the headquarters in Rio is at and where you’ll be staying. You’ll also be in other cities surrounding Rio. There’s much more in here than that, but everything is pretty much self-explanatory. Your flight leaves tomorrow at five thirty AM, be here a half hour early.”

Just wonderful. “How long will I be there?” I asked him.

“At least half of a year.”

I sighed. Even better. “Alright,” I said, standing up. “I’ll be at the airport tomorrow at five.”

I looked at the vice president, and he suddenly had an idea. I could tell because of the way his eyebrows rose at the thought crossing his mind. “Blitz, you’re going with her.”