chapter fifty

"We have a plan."

Both Harry and I jump at Jillian's words. She's standing in the doorway with her arms folded across her chest. Behind her, Niall stumbles into the kitchen, laden down with several grocery bags. I rush over to help him put things in the fridge, and he gives me a thankful smile.

Meanwhile, Harry walks over to face Jillian. "What plan?" he demands.

She doesn't waver at his tone. "August tenth."

"What about it? Other than the fact that it's exactly two weeks from now, I mean," I say, leaning on the kitchen counter. Niall joins me, his elbow brushing mine. I wonder if he senses my heartbrokenness and instinctually sympathizes with me. Did Jillian say or do something that crushed him, too? Did she mention Kenneth? The thought of her hurting poor Niall makes me want to hug him and never let go, because I know how that feels.

"I talked to Reyna when we were leaving Priory," Jillian explains. "You know, your old lab partner?"

"I know who she is," I grumble.

"Right, well, anyway... she told me that she didn't know exactly what kind of prying we were doing, but she got the general idea of it. I have a feeling she secretly thinks we're idiots for what we're doing, but she seemed willing to help out since we were with you. And apparently, according to her, Priory Inc. is giving everyone a day off on August tenth."

Harry raises his eyebrows. "A random day off? Just a few weeks before all the summer internships end, anyway? That's odd."

"Extremely so," Jillian says with a smug smile. "And I'm guessing the reason is because he's shipping the first round of finalized formulas to Mr. Lee that day."

"You're a genius," I blurt.

Her eyes cut to me harshly, then soften the slightest bit. "I know."

"Okay, so we know when they're going to have their first round of real Invections ready, and when they're shipping them away. How are we gonna stop them?" Niall asks.

"We're not going to be able to do it physically. I think it's safe to say they outpower us," Harry says grimly.

"So why don't we finally do what should've been done a long time ago and get the legal force into things? We can call Gerald, too. He's got some hold in the company; he can distract Damon long enough for us to show the police around. We can shut the entire thing down," I say excitedly. I have to remind myself to calm down; after all, we aren't even sure that we've got the date right. Maybe August tenth is Damon's birthday or something. 

The others are nodding slowly. "I think it's literally the only way," Jillian says. "Other than throwing a bowling ball at Damon's head, I mean."

"I want everyone to promise me one thing," Harry says urgently.

"Yes, Harry, I will marry you," Niall says enthusiastically, puckering up his lips and making smooching noises in a clear effort to lighten the mood. Jillian shoots him a fondly amused look, and I smile to myself at their exchange.

"Not now, Niall." Harry lets out a soft sigh. "I want you guys to promise that we're all in this together. No sneaking out early. No rash independent decisions. We stick to the plan. We have each other's backs. Always. No matter what. Got it?"

I know why he's so insistent about this; he's thinking of Margaret, and how she was alone when she died, how he was unable to get to her in time. A lump forms in my throat, and I want to hug him and tell him I won't let him be hurt like that ever again. That I'm insanely proud of him for opening up and trusting all of us like this. That I love him and I won't leave him.