chapter eighteen

"What do you mean, it's 'repairs' day?" I question Reyna as we stand in Lab 1. "I thought this was a biology internship."

Unamused by my ranting, she merely arches one eyebrow and shrugs at me. "It shouldn't take that long to fix up everything. Our usual maintenance crew hasn't been showing up for the past few weeks, so Damon up and fired 'em. While he looks for a new one, it's up to us to deal with the routine stuff. That means everyone: Lab Ones and Lab Twos." I can't help but notice that the Lab Threes are excluded, and feel another prick of curiosity; what goes on in the secluded fourth floor of our building? Why do we not ever see the employees of Lab Three?

Sure enough, there is a mix of Lab Twos in our ranks today. They glance around Lab 1 with almost nostalgic smiles, as if they remember when they were just little old first year interns. I bristle at their condescending stares.

Maura and Mr. Billings stand in front of us, each of them armed with a clipboard and stack of papers. Mr. Billings steps forward, clapping to gain our attention. "Listen up, everyone. I'm aware that all of you aren't too thrilled to be here for 'repairs day', and that you just want to get back to your science work. However, the more everyone cooperates, the smoother, more painless and quicker this will be." The man speaks to us like we're unruly second graders. "Now, I'm going to assign every one of you a task. Some of you will have partners or groups, others will work solo. I expect you all to do your job efficiently, and then head back to your correct labratory and resume your regular duties."

He begins to call out names and tasks. "Jillian, you've got to check the water pumps in the basement-"

"Fuck," Jillian curses, and I shoot her a sympathetic smile as she heads downstairs.

Mr. Billings finally calls my name. "Amber Faye and Harry Styles, you two have to fix the broken antenna on the roof satellite," he says, handing Harry a toolbox.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that I'm partners with Harry--but that quickly becomes the least of my problems. "Hold up. The antenna on the roof satellite? How do we get up there?" I gape at Mr. Billings.

He waves me off dismissively. "There's a button on the elevator that says 'R', and it'll take you up there."

"Are you sure that's safe?" I squeak. I look to Harry for support, but he doesn't say anything.

Impatiently, Maura snaps at me, "Stop asking so many questions and get to it, please, Amber."

Muttering under my breath, I stalk out of the room and head for the elevator. Harry joins me, and I press the topmost button. "Didn't even know the roof was accessible to us. Seems stupid, if you ask me," I fume, tapping my fingers in an angry rhythm on the top of the toolbox. "They should hire new maintenance men, the cheapskates. I don't even know anything about fixing antennas. Do you?"

"Mm."

"You're in a talkative mood today," I tell Harry.

A grunt.

"You still mad at me?" I ask softly.

Now he starts a little, surprise growing in his expression. "I was the rude one; that's why I apologized, remember? Why would I be mad at you?"

I shrug. "Wouldn't put it past you."

His eyes darken at my words.

"I'm not mad," he says, like he expects me to believe him.

Frowning, I study his frame. One hand grips the bar on the elevator wall, and his muscles strain against his shirt, tension wafting off him in waves. Beads of sweat gather at the fringe of curls lining his forehead, and he seems even more cranky than usual. There's a soft grinding noise as he clenches his jaw, teeth slamming together. He's definitely mad about something. "What's wrong, then?" I push.