▪ Chapter 14 ▪

Chapter 14

.

.

Dalir's hands shook. The text waited patiently for his reply, the little blue bubble blissfully unaware of his near heart attack. The Persian had spent years searching for his friend, combing every nook and cranny that might hide the masked boy.

But, after twenty years, he'd given up. In the middle of Russia, he dropped the search, deciding Death had stolen his friend. All those months of grieving, all for nothing. If this text isn't a prank. If it were, he would find whoever laughed on the other side and destroy them for doing this to him.

Who are you?

How do you know that name?

.

.

I'm Ami. I was informed we knew each other as children. I'm sorry for disturbing you. I won't bother you anymore.

Erik's bony finger clicked on the glass touchscreen, sending the message with a slowly sinking heart. Despite the heat of the fire, a cold wind whipped through the dark living room. Erik shivered and reached for the fleece blanket, but his claws froze before he touched the lambskin.

The blanket belonged to Christine. He retracted his hand and instead moved closer to the fire, the chill in his bones sending another quake through him.

.

.

Wait!

Don't go. You're not bothering me. I couldn't sleep anyway. Tell me something that would prove you are who you say you are.

.

.

Memories long locked away exploded into the front of his skull. Images of the two boys fight each other with the best sticks they could find, leaving bruises that Nadir's mother had always complained about and lovingly refused to treat because "they should learn not to 'rough house.'" She never failed to break down in the end and kiss the bruises and give them each a cookie to take their mind off the sore spots.

A few tears gleamed in the corners of golden eyes and a stray drop rolled down his cheek. Then, his mind landed on the perfect memory. Something only they would know.

You and I had a game we played at night. Hide and seek in the dark. You were always frustrated because I could see in the dark. You thought that was unfair.

.

.

Ami, it's so good to hear from you again.

.

.

Do you mean that?

.

.

Of course, I do. Could we meet somewhere? We should talk, and text is not the appropriate place.

.

.

Yes. I understand. Where would you like to meet?

.

.

Perhaps a quiet place with few people?

.

.

Preferably none.

.