More Like Me

More Like Me

Once upon a time there lived 17 year old me. I am Chleo. I like to define myself as someone who is normal but that isn't true. You see I am more than just human. I am a wolf. As far as I know, I am the only one.

My parents died in a car accident a year ago. They were like me too but now, it is just me. I have learnt to look after myself.

I refused to go to an orphanage as I thought that they would find out then start experimenting on me. Nobody knows but me.

Running through the forest that surrounds my cottage home, I take the time to clear my head for a moment.

Jumping high, I change into wolf form. As I change, my clothes tear, as they are now too small for me when I am in wolf form.

I am not a little wolf. I am a big wolf, like the ones in Twilight except I am real.

I stop for a moment and take a deep breath. Taking in the smell of my surroundings, I smell my later to become dinner.

Stepping carefully on all fours, I couldn't help myself but howl. I knew it would disturb my prey but it just happened.

I get lonely and I howl every night, hoping that someone, something, will answer to my call. It has suddenly become a habit of mine.

I miss the days when my family and I would roam the forest and work as a team to catch food. Now that they are gone, it has become harder for me.

I take another deep breath and catch a waft of my deer. Thanks to my good sense of smell I can track the path of which someone or something has been.

I walk closer towards the deer and smell something different.

Getting closer to my prey so that it is in my sight, I quickly sprint past it and bite its back leg before it can see me.

Hiding behind a bush I watch it slowly fall to the ground. This technique I learnt from my parents. They told me that it prevented the prey from running away and now that I was alone, it became very handy.

Before I could make a move, I heard something move behind me. Turning my head, I saw nothing.

Despite the fact that my vision was clear in the midnight sky, I still couldn't see anything.

SWOOSH. This time it was in front of me. I turn my head back to the front of me and see something munching on my deer.

Walking over to it slowly, they put their head up and I look them in the eyes.

Taking a smell of them, I notice they smell like me. Well not ME, but the same species.

Right at that moment I knew. I knew that I was not alone. That there were more like me and that I DO have a family. I just didn't know it yet.