Dangerous Love: Part Five - Closing In

Detective Dean was hot on the tale of Bobby and Baby, or so he beieved. He knew who their next victim was going to be but he had no plan. Bobby's mother, Madge Marshall, was reported missing the night before when Dean arrived in the area. He thought he could still find her alive if he could find any witnesses or Bobby and Baby themselves. Dean had checked into the same hotel as Bobby and Baby unknowingly, and made himself comfortable in his room so he could get to work as soon as possible. His first point of call was to go and question the employees at Mrs Marshall's workplace to see if they saw anything suspicious. He knew Bobby and Baby couldn't have gone far if they had kidnapped Madge the night before. Time was against Dean more than he anticipated.

Dean made his way down the main stairs of the hotel at the exact same time that Bobby and Baby were leaving in a very convincing disguise. They recognised him but there was no way he could have recognised them. Baby remembered him as the man that brought her to the Brookesend Institution when he found her battered and bruised, sitting in her front garden. He had saved her from the torture at home but he had no idea the institution wasn't any better. Dean continued to fight for Baby by making sure that Martin spent six years in prison for child abuse. She never had the chance to thank him but she vowed never to forget what he did for her.

Bobby remembered Dean for a similar reason himself. He was much older than Baby when he was admitted to the institution and Dean thought that he shouldn't have to be in Brookesend, but with a real family, however because Dean had no business with child services, his efforts were ignored and Bobby became even worse. Dean came to visit him one day and apologised for letting him down. Bobby replied with a smile, and that gave Dean hope that he could change for the better. Bobby was satisfied that someone in this cold world was fighting for him, even though it was a stranger, but a stranger with a passion.

"Bobby I know that man. He works for the police," said a worried Baby

"I know him too, but I can't hurt him Baby. He's one man that had faith in me after I left home,"

"That's crazy, he was the one that brought me to the institution to protect me. What are the odds that he'd be in the same hotel as us?"

"Maybe he's on to us, I don't know, but I'd rather us leave now before we run into him again. I really don't want to hurt him and I'm sure you don't neither," said Bobby softly.

"I don't, but what if he gets us caught? I don't want that neither, so what do we do?" asked Baby.

"We wait and see what happens, but for now, we leave him alone. That's the end of it,"

It was clear that Dean was significant to both Bobby and Baby, but he still had the ability to take them down if he got too close. It started to dawn on Bobby that maybe they only lasted this long because of Detective Dean, but then again they could trust no one.

***

Madge being reported missing had Bobby and Baby's faces pasted on the front page on every newspaper. The move to kill Madge was the move that caused there mission to be revealed. It was only a matter of time that the police knew who they were and what they were doing, but the manhunt gave the couple a thrill. 

 "I can't believe we're on the front page Bobby. We're famous!" shouted Baby as she danced around the room.

"Of course we're famous, but we can't embrace it, because we're famous for murdering four people," laughed Bobby.

"So if we can't embrace it what can we do? We're on the run now so moving from place to place is going to be difficult. Even though the newspaper stories have fabricated some things, it's clear that the police know we did in Marshall and Palmer, and they've linked us to the kidnapping of Madge. I doubt they'll be finding her body any time soon though. Maybe we should quit while we're ahead," suggested Baby.