Chapter 1: Umbrella

*Shaun's POV*

It's a normal day. November 17th. I forgot my umbrella. Dr. Glassman told me to just buy a new one, but I already have one. He told me to buy a raincoat. I told him I already have one. Then he offered me a ride home so I don't have to wait in the rain for the bus. I told him okay.

It's raining. I already knew that because I watch the weather channel. I forgot my umbrella. I should thank Dr. Glassman at lunch for offering me a ride. The rain smells like wet cigars and I don't want my clothes to smell like wet cigars. Laundry day is Sunday. And it's Wednesday.

I see Claire walking towards me as I enter the cafeteria. She smiles and then frowns,

"Why is your hair still wet?"

I tense up a little and don't reply. She catches herself and states, "Your hair is wet. I don't know why."

I answer, "I forgot my umbrella. I was busy fixing my cupboard." She laughs and asks,

"Is that why you were late?" I don't answer directly but I nod back.

Claire looks at her phone and says, "Well my break is almost over. I'll see you later Shaun." I watch her walk out the double doors behind me and step into the elevator. After the elevator doors closed I slowly brought my hand up from my side and wiggled it. But she didn't see since she was most likely already on the first floor.

"Shaun!" I hear someone call. I turn around and I see Dr. Glassman waving me over to his table. I look up at the cafeteria clock and realize I'm four minutes late. I walk over and sit down. He sets down a sandwich platter in front of me and I open my mouth to ask if he checked for pickles, but he cuts me off and states, "I've already checked." I shut my mouth.

"I'm four minutes late. I'm sorry." I say before picking up the fork and knife to eat. He shakes his head, "It's okay Shaun. It made my day to see you talking with people."

I give a short nod and state, "Claire is nice. I like her."

He raises a brow and asks, "Like? Or like-like?"

I shake my head and say, "We're just friends. She knows how to talk to me." He gives me a warm smile and I continue, "Thank you for offering me a ride."

Dr. Glassman shrugs, "It's no big deal." he picks up his sandwich and we eat in silence. At the end he asks, "How is everything going?"

I stiffen and he notices, he rephrases his question and states, "I hear you are doing well. Tell me how you feel lately."

I reply, "It's good. Everyone likes me. Even Dr. Melendez. He says I have a cool head. I told him that his head is cool too." Dr. Glassman laughs and chokes a little on his food. "What's funny? Did I make a joke?" I ask.

He explains, "I think he meant that you are cool-headed. Meaning you don't crack easily under stressful situations. Not that- oh god! (he laughs more)."

We throw away our trash together and I head back to the computer lab on the first floor to print up a file of a patient scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I need the file to know what the surgery is for. I step out of the elevator and turn to my right. At the end of the corridor is a computer room that is rarely used. It will be private and no one will steal the printer. As I passed by a room on my left there were ear-piercing screams inside and four nurses sprinted out. A security guard also sprinted out and tried to shut the door. A girl pushed against it and managed to slip out and dash down the hallway on all fours. I stand there trying to make sense of what was going on.

Dr. Melendez runs out of the same elevator I just came out of and spots me standing in the corridor. He shouts, "Murphy! Don't just stand there we have a code green!"