Escape~Ch. 7

RECAP:

          Liam turned to the rest of the group, grinning.

          “Guys…we have food, and we are going to be free in a few hours.”

          When whoever unlocked the door to move them to who-knows-where, they would bolt, using surprise to their advantage. They couldn’t catch all four teenagers running in four different directions, right? At least they could be free, and meet up somewhere.

          Liam dished out the plan as Rebecca, Gwen, and he ate the small portion of meat, planning to tell Jazz later.

Chapter 7~ Escape?!

          “We’re here to pick the… kids up.” The man in front of Jarrod announced. Jarrod nodded sullenly, pointing to the ratty room attached to the house.

          “They’re in there. All yours.” And with a slam of the door, the deal was sealed.

          The man smiled grimly. He had already contacted one man, the one who wanted Princess Rebecca dead. He wanted her tortured before dying. He would do the same to all.

          With a gleam in his eye, he chuckled. This would be so fun… for him.

          Jazz opened her eyes blearily and gasped. Her knee was killing her. Pounding pain pulsed through her whole leg, and she could feel wet, tight bandages around her knee.

          She let a groan escape. That was just great.

          “Jazz! We got food!” Liam exclaimed, realizing that she was up.

          “Oh, how’s your knee? Liam got rid of the bullet,” Gwen’s soft voice held a smile in it. Food had a magical effect on everyone, thought Jazz grimly.

          “It’s fine,” she lied.

          “Does it hurt like heck?” Liam asked. When Jazz finally nodded, he continued. “My… ex-best friend was shot once and I heard his complaints so much that they’re forever stuck in my head. Yours was deeper than his, though. Have some food; it’ll make you feel better.”

          “Thanks.” Jazz ate the slightly squishy meat on a plastic plate, and nodded. Liam was right, she did feel a bit better now.

          Suddenly Liam’s face dropped. “I just thought of something…” Rebecca, who had been uncharacteristically quiet (she was licking her plate clean… un-princess-like, yes, but necessary. Some meat remained stuck like glue on the plate) asked, “what?”

          “She can’t run,” Liam said, pointing at Jazz. Gwen drew in a sharp breath.

          “Oh, no.”

          “What?” Jazz asked, confused. “Why does that matter?”

          “Well, this guy came and gave us our food, saying that someone was going to come and move us. We were thinking that we could all run in different directions and meet up somewhere later. They couldn’t catch all of us, right? But, you can’t run.”

          Jazz felt a sinking knot form in her stomach. So she couldn’t escape… a tear dripped down her face without permission.

          “I could try?” She suggested, a feeble thought. She probably couldn’t even stand without collapsing.

          Click. Click. Click.

          The locks were being undone quickly.