Escape~ Ch. 13

RECAP:

"But Mom, I've needed you now more than I've ever needed you before! Come on, Mom, am I less important to you and Dad than the castle? Please, just come and meet the prison-keeper and pay him, Mom! I really need you! Please!"

Drew cut in. "One of my guards will come to collect money from your castle. If you know what's best, no funny business."

"Please, Mom. At least tell Dad! Please!" Rebecca sobbed, grasping the phone like a lifeline.

"Goodbye, Rebecca." Her mother's voice was firm and cold.

"I love you, Mom," Rebecca whispered into the dead receiver, feeling her heart break.

Chapter 13:

Rebecca stumbled back to her cell, Drew behind her, his smug demeanor overpowering. Rebecca's shoulders sagged as she heard the clang of cell bars. Dropping to the ground and holding her head in hands, she let one moment of peace pass before she glanced up to see her friends' faces. When had she started thinking of them as friends? She had no clue. Maybe the moment when they were recaptured... or when Jazz held her in her arms, comforting her even though they barely knew each other. When she realized that these were truly good people.

"Rebecca, what happened? What did your dad say?" Gwen broke the silence, biting her lip anxiously. Rebecca stared at her, wondering how to break the news that no one was going to rescue them. The bit of hope in her eyes was diminishing slowly. Rebecca realized that she couldn't let that sparkle of hope disappear, replaced by despair. She couldn't let her... friends feel the feeling that was slowly creeping over her heart, drowning out hope and slowly devouring the desire to break free. Telling her that maybe it was better to let go. She made up her mind.

"I'm not sure, but I think he's going to pay it. We'll just see if Drew pulls through," Rebecca said, pulling off a strained smile.

Liam smiled briefly back, then briskly walked back to where Jazz was sitting up against the wall.

"What's wrong with Jazz?" Rebecca asked Gwen, frowning as Liam dabbed Jazz's forehead with a piece of cloth torn from his shirt. Jazz's eyes were closed, sweat was shining on her face, and she was trembling slightly.

Gwen shrugged. "She collapsed. Liam said that water might reduce her fever, and little bits of food will help provide her energy so she can maybe get better without medicine." Her words were almost robotic, as if she had rehearsed them, hoping not to burst into tears. Gwen took a deep breath and used the corner of her dirty shirt to wipe her eyes. "Sorry, Rebecca, I-I'm just..."

Rebecca tried to smile genuinely. "It's fine, I get it." Awkwardly, she turned away to let Gwen regain her composure.

"Guys, she's awake!" The relief in Liam's voice was evident, and for a terrifying moment, Rebecca wondered if it was that serious. She pushed the picture of Jazz, cold and lifeless, from her mind.

MARISA'S POV (REBECCA'S MOM)

The queen hung up the phone, her lips tightening at Rebecca's plea. 'She is a princess with dignity. She should know begging gets her nowhere,' Marisa thought with disdain.

"Who was that, Marisa?" The king's loud, commanding voice projected from across the room. He was standing by the door.

"Oh, no one," she answered, brushing it off. "What are you thinking for dinner? Lamb or duck today?"

The king furrowed his brow. "Are you sure it was no one? Any information on Rebecca? That is our private phone..."

Marisa tilted her head, noticing the purple smudges under the king's eyes. "Would you like any concealer?" she asked absentmindedly.