1.9 A Side

( note: this is the happy ending of this story

( note: this is the happy ending of this story. if you'd rather read the bad ending, you can skip to the next chapter. or you can read both! enjoy! )

HARLEY'S HEART hammered against her chest, a heavy reminder that she had a choice to make. It would be entirely selfish to throw everything away for a mere chance that Freya would come back alive. The clear choice would be to run Kana through with the sword, end it quickly. If it were anyone else, Harley is sure that they would do it, no question. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion around her — the bullets flying trough the air, Waylon and Kana lunging at each other, Tatsu standing after being thrown to the ground, fire roaring through the air. Harley's grip tightened around the sword. Let her be selfish, just one more time.

"Enough!" Harley yelled, her voice reaching over the sounds of battle. Kana paused for a brief moment, looking amusedly at the woman.

"Harley, the hell you doing?" Floyd shouted back at her, his eyes narrowed into a glare.

"I'm getting bored," Harley said simply, flipping the katana in her hand. She took a few steps closer to Kana, her eyes hard and determined. The katana in her hand began to glow a familiar bright orange, electricity cracking around it. Harley felt power flow through her as she twisted the katana in her hand, before thrusting it into the ground, like she had seen Freya do before.

Almost immediately, the ground opened up, electricity loudly crackling as the ground cracked and split. The earth split directly between Kana's feet, but otherwise leaving her unaffected.

"Pathetic," Kana spat, malicious laughter falling from her lips. Harley smirked back, standing up straight, which left Kana confused. Suddenly, Kana jolted in surprised, a hand reaching up from the crack, grabbing onto her ankle. "What the hell is this?" Kana shouted, electricity painfully coursing through her. Another hand reached up, pulling Kana down, while she screamed in pain.

Soon, Kana was engulfed by the crack in the ground, her screams abruptly cutting out. There was a brief silence, before the hands grabbed onto the ledge of the opening, whoever was inside beginning to pull themselves up. Everyone watched in awe as Freya hauled herself up out of the ground, her hair a wild mess, clothes tattered and bloody, but she was alive.

"Even when I'm dead, I still have to save your asses." Freya said, cracking a smile as she made her way towards Harley, and her katana. Pulling her katana out of the ground, Freya felt a heavy hand rest on her shoulder. Turning, Freya smiled brightly at Waylon, and everyone seemed relieved. Suddenly, the ground shook beneath them, and they all looked to the opening in the ground, where Kana was crawling out now. Floyd reloaded his gun, holding it up to her head. Freya held out her hand, stopping him.

"I got it." She said simply, flipping her katana in her hand. Her eyes glowed a dangerous orange as an aura began to surround her. It looked like a man, with the head of a fox. "I'm tired of this." Freya growled, and in a flash, she lunged for the woman, stabbing her clean through the abdomen. Kana let out a bloodcurdling scream, blood spraying from her wound as Freya twisted her katana. Lifting her foot, Freya forcefully kicked Kana's body backwards, letting it fall into the pit as the katana was pulled from her. Sighing, Freya turned to her team. "Let's go home."

-•-•-

A week passed. Freya spent the majority of the week in the hospital, under the watch of heavily guarded soldiers, as doctors tried to understand the miracle of how she was alive. Her very dead body that was being held in preparation for a burial, had sparked and turned to ash, near the same time that Harley plunged the katana into the ground.

Freya herself didn't remember much after dying. She remembered hoping that Zoe would be okay, and she remembered feeling a searing pain in her abdomen and neck before everything faded out. Freya remembered dying, but everything after that was just emptiness, until she remembered latching onto Kana's ankle and dragging her down into the pit. With Kana gone, Freya had to deal with the fact that she may never know what really happened with Maya, or the strange woman, but she also had the feeling that it wasn't over.

When Freya was released from the hospital, she was thrown back into Belle Reve, which was a welcomed familiarity to her now. Of course, she didn't like being in prison, but at least she knew what to expect in there. Rick Flag kept special watch on their cell block, and on the large cell that held Harley Quinn. The Suicide Squad was disbanded — there was no need for it anymore. Everything went back to the way it used to be.

-•-

"Zoe was real excited to tell you that she got an A plus on the paper you helped her write," Floyd said, nodding to Freya, who smiled. They were sitting in a circle, in the same small room that they used to sit in for their makeshift therapy sessions.

"That's great! She did most of the work though." Freya said back, smiling. Her hair was in two pigtails, courtesy of Harley, who was nearly sitting on Freya's lap, their hands intertwined. Chato began chatting with Floyd about how he used to be so proud of his kids and their grades. The heavy metal door to the room opened, and Amanda Waller came walking in, before pausing and staring directly at Freya.

"Yukimura," Waller said sharply, and Freya stood, standing straight up, locking eyes with her. "You have a visitor." She said, before turning on her heel and exiting the room. Flag, who stood next to the door, gestured with his head for her to follow. With a quick kiss to Harley and a short goodbye to the rest of the group, Freya did as told, following behind Flag as he escorted her out.

-•-

Freya settled down in the uncomfortable metal chair, the cuffs around her wrists to control her abilities clinking against the table as she fidgeted awkwardly. The man who was sitting across from her was dressed very nicely, in an expensive-looking suit. He slid a file across the table to Freya, and she flipped it open, revealing that was her file. All information there was about her was collected nicely and neatly into this one folder.

"Freya Yukimura," The man said, deep voice catching her a bit off-guard. "My name is Bruce Wayne, and I'd like to make you an offer."