Chapter 1

Draugr Mestre, Sebastian Maviper's engineering and research development firm took up the entire top three levels of an office building he owned in Sydney city. The top floor was made up of his residence and office. I caught the lift up ten of the possible twelve levels to the public reception of Draugr Mestre where Jacinta, the receptionist, was situated.

Luka Thetas was normally waiting for me in the foyer. But since I hadn't pre-arranged to meet Luka today, she was either up in her office or running errands for Sebastian, her Director. Luka had worked as an assistant for the grand Sebastian Maviper since we graduated university. She didn't need to work. Her parents left her a small fortune when they died, and in the years before she could access her inheritance, it provided a substantial allowance. Working for Sebastian was to stop Luka from getting bored. And working for Sebastian, as I hear, is anything but boring.

"Seraphina, how lovely to see you again."

"Hey Jacinta, is Luka in? I am hoping to catch her for lunch."

"I'll call up and see if she's back. I know Sebastian had her running errands all morning." Jacinta pressed the speed dial for Luka's office. I sat down and grabbed a copy of the latest Journal of Software Engineering to flick through.

"Seraphina, Luka isn't back yet, but Sebastian said to head up. He's in his office." I returned the magazine and headed to the elevator with Jacinta in tow. The lift opened and Jacinta entered the code, careful to block my view, which provided access to the top floor.

I looked at my reflection in the elevator mirrors and flinched. Sebastian had joined us socially many times over the four years I'd known and been friends with Luka and Ari. He was funny, smart, and comfortable to be around, most of the time. I pulled out the band that was holding my cherry-black hair back in a braid, fingering it loose. I applied some lip-gloss for color, and straightened my strapless wrap dress. When I finished I laughed at myself; only Sebastian could get me to act so self-consciously.

The lift doors opened and I stepped out into the foyer. I always marveled when I arrived at Sebastian's office. The entire foyer, including the ceiling, was made from black granite, speckled with what looked like blue sapphires and diamonds. It made you feel like you were standing under the night sky. Directly opposite the elevator door were the solid black timber doors to Sebastian's apartment. I had never been in there, but if the foyer was anything to go on, it would be beautifully decorated. The black granite continued down the corridor where the offices were located.

Luka's office was immediately to the right. Sebastian's was the corner office at the end of the corridor, the door to which stood open awaiting my arrival. I'd only been in Sebastian's office once before and it was a quick in and out, as Luka and I met and left almost immediately for lunch. The room itself was large enough to be a conference room, so even with the furniture, there was enough space on this side of the desk to do the waltz and not worry about hitting any furniture.

This time, I was able to savor the décor. The right wall had a floor to ceiling bookshelf, full of antique books and an array of marble and bronze statues. The left wall ran to the window and had a drafts table for laying out and drawing plans. The floor-to-ceiling window straight ahead had an over-sized black leather sofa with a chaise modular at the wall end.

The centrepiece was a majestic ebony desk that stood in front of the window, with two leather seats for clients on the door side and a large black leather desk chair for Sebastian on the window side. And that is where he stood, standing tall on the working side of his desk, back to the room, looking out the window.

Sebastian was just over six-foot-four, with short hair the perfect mix of burnt umber and black that they call Vandyke brown. He was always clean-cut but still ruggedly handsome--extremely good-looking in the masculine way that could never be considered pretty or cute. I had kissed his cheek and touched his hand enough times to know his latte- colored skin was smooth. And he had kissed my cheek enough times for me to know those perfect rose lips burnt hot against my skin.