The Aftermath

Not much at the moment was clear other than the fact that both Fred and Voldermort were dead. The numbness from Fred’s death was wearing of and was being replaced by cold-hearted and sadness. I wanted to cry, but what would crying solve; nothing. No amount of crying would bring Fred back. No she had to be strong for her family; at least one of them had to be. The violent sobs of her mother was enough to keep her grounded to the cold harsh reality. She had never seen her mother like this and it scared her; more than anything. It was terrible to see her rock, her shelter crumble and fall into a thousand pieces hurt in so many ways. As much as it hurt her, she knew it hurt George much more. All his life it had been Fred and George; it now it was just George and it would always be just George. She knew she should be ecstatic that Voldermort had been killed by Harry, but it was sorta hard with a dead brother. Harry. I did a quick scan of the great hall, but to no avail.

“Ginny I’ll be back, I just want to go see how George holding up” Her voice was weak and scratchy from the seemingly endless hours spent crying. I tried to talk but no words came out, so instead I just nodded. After she left, I realized just how bad it was to suffer it alone. I decided I would go outside; being outdoors helped calm me down. I chose to sit at the tree in front of the lake; I had many good memories there. I felt a light tap on my shoulder.  I looked up to see the face of someone who not too long ago had been “undesirable number one”. He plopped down right next to me.

“Ginny” his voice was filled with concern, sadness and worry; it drove me over the edge. I dug my head into his shoulder and let out a tidal wave of tears. Instead of protesting he gently wrapped his arms around me and the soon tears began to stream down his face as well.

“He’s gone.” It was then it truly struck. Fred, my brother, the person who I’d gone through thick and thin with, a person who’d become a part of me was gone; and never coming back. I would never hear him tell another joke, never hear him laugh or tease me ever again. It was as if someone had ripped out a part of me and trampled on it. I wanted to wake up and for this to be some terrible joke; but I was smarter than that. Fred was truly dead; and there was nothing I could do about it.

“He’s, he’s gone, Fred’s gone!” Like repeating it would do any good.

“I feel like it’s my fault”

“Harry it’s not your fault, and you’re a bloody git if you think so” it might have been rude, but he needed to know it wasn’t his fault.

“I am sorry”

“It’s okay” I put my head back into his shoulder and he gave me an even tighter hug. We stayed like this for who knows how long. I needed to ask a question.

“How do you do it” He looked puzzled.

“Do what?”

“How do you lose people, and keep going” I bit my lip down to fight back tears.  He thought for a moment before taking a deep breath. He looked straight into my eyes and answered.

 “Well I guess I just decide that if I am not going to live for myself might as well live for those who um can’t. It’s okay to cry, more than okay; it’s just live for them if not for you I guess.”

“I am sorry if it wasn’t the right question to ask, but I just had to.” I was afraid I had hit a nerve.

“No trust it’s okay” I put my head back into his shoulder and just sat there. Doing absolutely nothing not thinking, not talking; nothing but breathing.

After a while of as much serenity as I could afford, I slowly fell asleep. I had a pretty dreamless sleep; except kept seeing the faces of the dead. Fred, Tonks & Lupin, Colin Creevy. It was terrible; but I didn’t wake up. No point; reality was just as bad. Eventually I slowly began to snap back into consciousness. I slowly opened my eyes and the world swam into view. The lake was still as beautiful as ever; but beyond the lake was a disaster.