What Hurts The Most: Number 14

Four Months Later

I sighed as I dropped all the groceries to the floor; I was really tired and Robert made me go get some last minute groceries that we all needed. My parents’ business trip has been extended for a little longer since they needed more time to negotiate some things.

“I’m home,” I yelled when I entered the house.

It was pitch black, which was strange. I rolled my eyes and turned on the lights.

“SURPRISE!”

I screamed, dropping all the groceries and covering my mouth with my hands.

Logan came running towards me, his arms wide open. I opened my arms as well and gave him in a hug.

“Happy surprise baby shower,” VeeAnn smiled at me and came towards me.

I smiled back at her and gave her a hug. “Oh, my gosh, thank you so much!”

She nodded and smiled, her arm around my shoulders.

I started sobbing, making VeeAnn, Robert, VeeAnn’s mom, and Logan give me a strange look.

“Are you crying?” Robert asked, still giving me a strange look, and coming toward me.

“Yeah,” I nodded, fanning myself to stop the tears, even though it wouldn’t work. “I –just- didn’t think that you guys would do this! I would’ve thought you guys forgot about baby showers and let me rot and die alone with a baby.”

Everybody started chuckling and shaking their heads at me.

VeeAnn’s mom said, “T’aw, honey, don’t think that! You are daughter to me, and since, VeeAnn and that Austinkid planned this.”

“Mom,” VeeAnn huffed, “he’s the boy I’ve been telling you about. Don’t mention it to her.” She whispered in her mom’s ear, but I could still hear what she said.

“Well, uh, I think he’s name was Austin, it was probably, Maximums. You never know.” She did a shrug and walked into the kitchen.

~*

“Sorry for being late!” Tyler and Zach came running into the living room with so many boxes in their hands.

“We had to get everything that would look cute on your little baby girl, so just had to get it and,” Zach said, eyeing me, “let me say, they are adorable. I suddenly love baby shopping.”

Zach and I are on good terms now; we are practically brother-and-sister terms now. We both put the bad days behind us and forgot about everything that happened. We now it happened, but it doesn’t matter because its in the back.

I rolled my eyes at them, “Guys, you seriously didn’t have to get that many things. It’s nothing. I mean, one or three outfits, but not the whole baby section.”

“But,” Tyler pouted, “They aren’t returnable.”

“Yeah they are.” Zach said.

Tyler slapped him in the stomach and said, “No, no they aren’t.”

“Oh, yeah; they aren’t.” Zach slowly caught on.

“Thank you guys for bringing them in for me, I couldn’t have done it without you guys.” Austin came waltzing in the house, standing by the door frame.