Attempted Seduction

The music's not really related but I love this song so go listen!

************************************************************************************************************

I close my locker and rest my head against the door. People pass me by in the hallway and some of them say hi to me but I ignore them. I hate school and guess what? Today I feel like shit.

There are church bells ringing in my head, their chime making the hallway sway dangerously. I'm pretty sure I'm extremely sleep deprived. I got back from the party around one but I couldn't sleep. Not one bit. All I could think about was whether I would ever see the weird blue eyed guy again. I had to see him right? He could'nt just ditch me after my one and only supernatural experience? To make matters worse Anna's cousin was annoying.

Carla left me with him all night and maybe just maybe I could have enjoyed it if I wasn't so preoccupied. Oh yeah and Dylan also expected me to pay attention to him. He whined all night and kept trying to grab my hand not to mention he then tried to get me drunk. I might have given him a pat if he magically turned into a puppy but as a human? Not a chance.

I poke a hand into the pocket of my jeans and pull out a test tube. Its October and the sky outside is a little overcast but it isn't really chilly. The school hallway has grey floor tiles and faded white walls with bulletin boards overflowing with charts. It might seem a little drab but I like it. It reminds me of the greyness before a storm. As if everything is going to change.

I put the test tube to my mouth and swallow the bitter, black solution. Feeling like you're going to collapse? Concentrated coffee solution gives you just the jolt you need.

I swear the effect is instantaneous. As soon as the horrible taste fades from my mouth and I stop dry retching everything appears brighter. All the people in colorful clothes hurrying to their classes jump into focus. I know I'm going to have a killer head ache later but right now I don't give a damn. I need to survive.

"Doraida!" someone squeals behind me. 

It's Millie and Arnold walking towards me. They have English with me.

"Hey" I mutter quickly getting rid of the test tube. No need to give them any fodder for their imagination.

"Guess what? My Mom's letting me go to Greece this summer!"

"That's amazing" I say giving her arm a squeeze which in Reed lingo is as good as a hug. I really feel happy for her, she wants to be an archaeologist; this will really give her resume a boost.

"Looking good today" Arnold compliments me, his eyes ostentatiously looking me over.

I give him a cocky grin,

"Always"  I tell him with a smoulder. The two of us have been friends for a long time, a little flirting is part of the bargain.

Thay keep talking and I pay just enough attention to nod at the right moment.

Its going to be one of those days, I realize despite the smile on my face.The days when I stare into space and only answer when the conversation gets interesting. I have my good days too when I talk and people listen, when I joke and people laugh but I am temperamental. I simply can't be that girl forever.

We enter English and I settle by the window smiling vaguely at some of my friends. Thank god I have English first. If I answer two questions I know I'm safe to zone out completely.

I just want this to be over. I just want to go home and do something mundane like paint my nails. I want to visit my parents  at the veterinary clinic and play with the animals. Just something.