Self-Determination

"I want- I want some self-determination!" Stiles shouts. There's no conviction behind it. Other than the fact that maybe he would like to be able to rule himself every so often. There's just no real bite behind the shouting though. There is behind Derek's reply. (Stiles doesn't stop to consider the pun behind that).
"What?"
"I want to be ruled by my own kind," Stiles tells him, no longer shouting but voice as stern as he can make it. 
"You are," Derek doesn't seem confused by what Stiles is asking, but he doesn't seem to understand it either.
"No, I'm not. You're a wolf. I'm a human. You shouldn't get to boss me about." Stiles doesn't feel like he's asking for too much, not after everything he's been through, been through for the pack he isn't even, technically, a part of. This feels like something he shouldn't even have to ask for.
"Yes. I should."
"Why?" Stiles exclaims, outraged. 
"I'm the Alpha." Stiles could swear that that's Derek's reason for everything. 
"And I'm a human."
"You're also pack." Stiles doesn't know how to reply to that. Timidly, he looks at his own feet and thinks over why they're arguing in the first place. Stiles is really fed up of his arguments ending up as being his own fault. 
"Yeah...well, not technically." Suddenly Derek's all up in his face, intimidating as ever, but not violent, not malevolent. 
"You are pack just as much as anyone whose been bitten. Sometimes even more so." Then Derek's gone and Stiles is left with the vague idea that he'll never have self-determination, but he does sort of belong to something and that maybe that's good enough.